Rock critters

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Rhoads238, Jul 14, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

Hey all,

I am wondering about how long it takes for critters that were living in live rock to show up. I haven't seen much in mine in the way of worms or pods but then again the tank is only 17 days old.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'm not sure there really is a time frame....there may be some in there that you just can't see at this point. One way to look and see is to use a flashlight when lights are off. You may be surprised that there are more critters in there than you thought.

4. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

A year later I am still seeing new things :) I didn't see much for the first couple months though. Just pods mostly.

5. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

For the longest time, I kept a good magnifying glass next to the tank, as mentioned, things will pop up constantly.

If you started with dry rock instead of wet rock (what's passing for LR these at the LFS days), it will take a bit longer for things to show up, but show up they will.

6. Coffin Worm

Coffin Worm Astrea Snail

I saw a huge bristle worm on the live rock I used to cycle my tank during that first week. I have never seen him since. I know that creepy little guy is still in there tho.
    If you know anyone with a large tank ask them for a cup of sand or some min-brittle stars from their filter. They seem to reproduce pretty easily once you get them in your tank.

7. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

I like the magnifying glass idea. I ordered from live rock n reef. I'm assuming it was wet rock. A whole bunch of dead crabs floated to the surface when i threw the rocks into my tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

maybe it died during the cycle? I ordered a cheato when i got my rocks and there was a pod or two in the bag. I added them to the tank but i haven't seen them since. I dont think they made it.

My LFS has several very large display tanks. Maybe they will give me a cup from one of them.

10. Greg@LionfishLair

Greg@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Let your tank finish its cycle...honestly, critters WILL show up. That being said, once your tank has cycled, if you want to boost pod production, you can dose it with live phytoplankton a 2-3 times a week, as they will feed on it (that would also be the time to add any live pods to the tank). If you use the live phyto, try not to use Nanochloropsis, as it has a super hard, thick cell wall that is indigestible to many critters.

Who knows, you may end up with a "pet pod"...

[​IMG]

11. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

Plankton and pods is the first thing im going to stock the tank with when my cycle is done, which its getting close. When it is ill put in order in with ipsf for plankton and their pod breeder kit. maybe a few other odds and ends too

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  12. Rhoads238

Rhoads238 Spaghetti Worm

I just noticed the other day two tiny white pods on my glass and now i have hundreds! I'm really excited to see something come out of the rocks. I took a macro photo of them and digitally zoomed all the way I could go, which is a good bit, 36.3 MPs worth. They have tiny antennas and a tail. I just ordered a 40x jeweler magnifying glass to get a better look at them.