Rock Burrower

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by sandiebrown65, Mar 15, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sandiebrown65

sandiebrown65 Astrea Snail

Hi All,

I don't have a photo, but I am hoping that it may be an obvious answer.

I have what appears to be something burrowing away into my live rock. It is leaving little piles of grey "dust" at the opening. Where there is a hole visible, it is about 3-4ml in diameter with piles of grey dust laying against the rock.

Any ideas what this may be? If it is too broad a question, I will try to take a photo.

Thanks
    Sandie

2. Click Here!

3. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

Pretty broad.
    What livestock do you have?
    Any gobys, pistol shrimp?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. reefer Bob

reefer Bob Montipora Digitata

Do you hear a clicking sound from tank? If so, then it's a mantis shrimp. Pull that rock out & use a syringe to dose a high mixture of Calcium down the hole. We had a mantis hit hiker before & this is what we did. It will kill off any coralline algae near the hole. But rinse with saltwater afterwards to get calcium out.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

+1

Could also be a Xanthidae crab; it, too, is not reef or invert safe and should be removed.

6. sandiebrown65

sandiebrown65 Astrea Snail

I don't have a huge amount. I have a 300L tank (70-80 gal?) About 50kg live rock, a trochus, a red starfish, a feather starfish, a small piece of rock with some little zoas, two morphs, one large and 4 small hairy mushrooms (LR Hitchikers), a bi-colour blenny, a one spot foxface, 4 P J cardinals, a pair of clowns and a bubble tip hosting.
    The tank has been running since last Oct and from the first load of live rock I have heard clicking! I have never seen a mantis so I was told that it is probably a pistol? Would this be true? I have a number of different holes happening into the rock, would it be the one creature or multiple?
    I am hoping that it is a pistol because I would have to dismantle the whole of the LR to get to the one with the holes! If only I had known at the beginning what the clicking was, but as this is my first sojourn into the world of marine.........

7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I read on here that a mantis' click will be several clicks in a row and a pistol usually makes one or two loud clicks very intermittantly with long stretches in between the pops I call them.

8. Click Here!

9. diverdan

diverdan Bangghai Cardinal

My pistol shrimp will pop 1-3 times and then stop for a while. It can be really loud. I have heard it in another room in my house at night over all the tank noise. Pretty interesting.
    I see my pistol on occasion, he comes out when it's feeding time for a plot second and then disappears under the rocks again.
    I do not know what the habits of mantis are. So I really can't say much.

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

3-4 mm? That would be really small for a mantis.... Maybe a peanut worm or some other worm I'd guess. Also, I don't believe any species of mantis or pistol shrimp actually burrow, although, they may live in existing burrows. Tough to say from the description, but from the size, I'd guess a worm.

11. Chance

Chance Bubble Tip Anemone

Why are all of you people so violent towards Mantids? xP They just want to be loved!

In all seriousness, if it was a mantis, your clean up crew would be gone. There are species of semi-aggressive pistols that are very small. Wouldn't kill anything, just give whatever was bothering it a headache. Also too small to cause any serious damage to rock scapes. the worst it will do, is hunt down a copepod, or two. :D
    Happy reefing.