Urgent Roaming magnifica anemone

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by billyboy2, Feb 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I don't quite get what your saying... My lights are less than 2 months old. I was using CFL's before, but switched to T5's when i got my 55G setup. I'm using 2 Hagen Marine glow actinnic spectum bulbs and 2 sunblaster 10000k grow bulbs. I wasn't trying to be rude. Sorry if it was taken that way....My LFS is a friend of mine the tank they were previously kept in was only using 2 -48'' 10000k bulbs, no actinic and everytime i came in, they were right where they were before.

2. Click Here!

3. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Water and dissolved solids absorb radiation from your light. This absorption heats the water of your tank. If your lights are not powerful enough to produce photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) capable of penetrating the depth of the tank, light dependent organisms will either move to a shallower area in the tank or, if they are unable to move, they will stretch towards the light source.

Different bulbs produce a different amout of PAR even if the bulbs are the same type and same wattage. My 39 watt ATI T5HO aquablue bulb puts out more PAR than a stock or standard 12k 39watt T5HO bulb. The type of reflectors is another factor that determines penetration. Single bulb reflectors reflect more light into a tank than multiple bulb reflectors. Distance between your ulbs and the surface of your water also determines how much PAR penetrates the depth of your tank. Actinic bulbs have almost no PAR so don't include actinic lighting in your thoughts of beneficial lighting.

Age matters because over time bulbs slowly change their wavelength. Only certain wavelengths are benificial to certain organisms. This is why when a bulb is going bad you will see an increase in algae.

Flow can also make your anemone want to move. Maybe it is getting to much or to little. All anemones will move from where you originally place them in your tank. Sometimes you will get lucky and they are happy where you put them.

There are to many factors in why your anemone is moving to really give you an exact answer of why and what to do about it. You can experiment with flow, moving your lights around, or stronger bulbs, but I highly suggest just to let it be and where it stays is where it wants to be and all you can do about it is deal with it.

1 person likes this.
  4. billyboy2

thanks i understand now. but how do i find a PAR rating on lights?? I have never seen anything other than wattage. also i am using lids on the top of my tank, one glass and one made of clear greenhouse siding material that i cut to make room for skimmer and filter. I was told this material doesn't filter light in anyway so i assume it would be fine. My anemone has just done something it has not done yet!!! it has just moved off the glass onto a piece of LR closer to the surface of the water, it is also a new piece of rock i didn't have until recently, so maybe i didn't have a suitable place for him until now. it would be easier for the anemone to collect light if it were on some rock rather than the glass because it would open up facing the light, unlike when its on the glass its top tenticle face the light.

5. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

The glass and greenhouse cover restrict the penetration of light. it will not block all they light but it will block most of it. Glass blocks 100% of UVA radiation. I would remove the lids and look into buying some eggcrate to cut a lid that will not hinder the light as greatly as what you are using now. The best way to find PAR is w/ a PAR meter. However, those are not always readily available to all. Here is a link for some commonly used bulbs that have their PAR reading assigned to the brand and bulb name.

T5 lamp PAR readings - Reef Central Online Community

6. billyboy2

one last question....Do you run open tops?? the only reason i am using covers is first to slow the rate that water evaporates out of my tank...cause when water evaporates the salt doesn't and the salinity changes, and secondly because i was concerned that my lights would get misted or even splashed from water returing to the tank from my skimmer or filter...my fixture hovers above my tank 1'' from the top.

1 person likes this.
  7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I run w/out a lid. I just add about a gallon of water a day. Are you able to add a splash guard to your lights? This is normally a thin piece of acrylic that goes into your light fixture.

8. Click Here!

9. billyboy2

unfortunatly no...my fixture was originally intended for green houses for growing or what not...they are individual ballast that i can clip into the reflector. I went with this fixture for the main reason that it was a HO 54watt ballast i could use the fishtank lights with the fixture and it cost me almost nothing...it was a temporary solution to my lighting problem when i first went from CFL's to what i got now and i just haven't had the money to purchase a proper one. Got an updated picture....hope he stays now!

Attached Files:

10. billyboy2

I'm kinda suprised and releaved that when it moved onto the rock it didn't make a disaster zone on its way to it. guess i piled them sturdy!

11. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

Looks like he is going toi stay there. Lots of flow and close to the lights. Search on craigslist often for deals on lighting. You would be amazed at what you may find.

12. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    i'm glad to see he looks hes happy, thats a real pretty anemone, keep that spotlight trick in mind if you have anymore trouble

1 person likes this.