Urgent Roaming magnifica anemone

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by billyboy2, Feb 2, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have this large magnifica anemone for almost 4 months now, I love it, my clowns love it, but it's not happy and i need help determining why. I have come to the conclusion it's unhappy because it won't stay still, it's constantly on the move, pausing in a spot for a day and then back at the journey. It also will not come off the glass, which is no big deal but it is determined to walk the perimeter of my tank along the top edge. All of my equiptment is a HOB setup and lots of things for it to get hurt on. Anyone have any ideas?? it had a close incounter with a powerhead and i need to solve this problem ASAP

I have well researched what is needed to care for an anemone but am still stumped. my setup is as follows:
    55G reef, 4 X 54w 48'' T5 lights, 2-actinic, 2-10000k. Using an aquaclear 30 for mechanical filtration, Aqua C remora Skimmer, 2 -korolia #2 powerheads, 1- aquaclear 30 powerhead. I keep my temp between 76 and 79. My water readings as of today: 0ppm nitrate, 0ppm ammonia, PH 8.4, salinity 1.024, DKH 10, phosphate 0ppm..

I attached 2 pictures. the first is day one...the second is its current location.

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

That’s the nature of the beast – these anemones like to move, always thinking the grass is greener elsewhere I suppose. Ideally he wants good light and decent water movement.

Edit - here is a link to wet web (I love this site)....I searched for the M. anemone and found this page, they even use the grass is greener line - that made me chuckle since when I first wrote it I was thinking of the grass is always greener because its growing over the septic tank line :)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/inverts/cnidaria/anthozoa/hetmagnifica.htm

1 person likes this.
  4. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    i've had real good success keeping my ritteri in place with a spotlight, he refused to settle for a 3 months and caused me alot of stress during that time until i noticed he seemed to like heading towards the kitchen cabinet light that my wife always leaves on,that led me to try setting up a moonlight directly over where i wanted him to stay and what do you know he went all the back down the tank and positioned himself right under the moonlight and hasnt move since,once he chose a spot it made it real easy to get the flow setup in a way he liked for mine he likes water going over/around him but definately doesnt like any kind of updraft... hope this helps

5. billyboy2

it's a good article with lots of info...thought it was too good to be true when i got it for free. Probably cause my LFS had so much problems keeping it...

6. billyboy2

what would i use as a spotlight? i wonder if i added another 2 ballasts to my existing 4 bulb setup if it would make a difference... I might have to consider giving it up because i am now starting school and can't babysit it during the day. I dont want to come home to a disaster zone.

7. liegeofinveracity

liegeofinveracity Coral Banded Shrimp

...the night time... is the right time...
    i dont think it is an issue of not enough light really,in my case he just likes to be where the light is strongest all the time,i hypothesize that the roaming is in search of that spot, you could try an led penlight or even a stick on light, i dont know what the k rating is for the moon light i hooked up or if it would matter,you could even try a flshlight i suppose...i'm not gauranteeing this will work but it did for me,and it would be real cool if it works for others to!

8. Click Here!

9. Yellow Tang

Yellow Tang Bubble Tip Anemone

When the anemone moves tword the top of the tank it requires more light.

10. billyboy2

I disagree totally...The LFS i had gotten the anemone from had kept it for more than 2 months and it stayed on the bottom the whole time. The tank it was previously kept in was only giving 2 watts/Gallon mine is double that. I will try the spottlight maybe it just needs a little convincing to stay put. The only other factor i can think of is the LFS had the anemone in a tank that got alot of natural sunlight during the day, mine not so much...

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I wouldn’t be so quick to disagree, Yellow Tang speaks the truth. Perhaps your little bugger is the exception to the rule, but generally speaking – I wouldn’t disagree with what he has written here.

12. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

I have to disagree with you as well. watts per gallon is an out of date system of determining your light value. I can have a 75watt MH system that puts out a higher PAR than a 130watt PC system. The watts per gallon is greater for the PC system, but does not have as much photosynthetically available radiation irradiating from the bulbs. The depth of the tank also has a lot to do with how much of the light is actually used. Just because one light may look as bright as or brither than another does not make it better or equal. What are the exact specifications of your lighting? Not just type of bulbs, but the bulbs you are using. How old are they?