RO-Unit

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by hoodoo, Nov 27, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, if not, please move it ;)

I'm thinking about getting a RO-Unit quite soon. But I don't really know, what to look for exaclty.
    Can anyone give me some advise? Or maybe just tell me "get this one, because ..."
    The other thing is maintenance. I know you have to exchange some filters once in a while. But what exaclty do you have to change, and how pricey is that?

Yvonne

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Good Morning Hoodoo!

I have the Typhoon from one of our sponsors here:

Airwaterice.com

I love it ! I used to have the Kent Maxxima, but this one is much nicer for a whole lot less money IMHO!

I also got the TDS meter from them. That will tell you when you need to change cartridges. The RO membrane is guaranteed for 3 yrs (I think) and that is the most expensive piece. The rest are screw off containers, you pull out the old cartridge , put in the new, and screw it back on. Easy! The DI changes color when it is exhausted and I was told to change the sediment and carbon cartridges at least yearly. Depends on water consumption :)

I have the Typhoon which includes a shut off valve, that when paired with a float valve, gives you auto top off if you want it.

4. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

No, I have this one
    http://www.airwaterice.com/product/RKT

At 3 months, I am still getting zero TDS. I don't know that an extra DI resin cartridge adds much if you replace the one you have when needed.

The fast flush valve some people like that. I don't have that but it does come with the auto shut off valve.

I have not had to change out cartridges yet but

This would replace all filters two times but the DI (not the membrane either) for $30...that would most likely be two years worth.

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/FIL6PK

Or this one has all 4 cartridges for $50

http://www.airwaterice.com/product/FILTP

Oh yeah, I have the 75 gallon per day as it produces more pure water than the 100 gpd. :D

6. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

oh, 149 doesn't sound bad at all. Where did you connect it?
    I have a bathroom right behind the wall behind the tank. And there is a sink right in that corner. So I will just drill a small hole through it and do the top off. And I want to split the "outlet-hose" so that I have an extra outlet for water for the waterchanges and the other tanks.
    It doesn't have the normal hose-threaded end on the faucet, but just a blank end like normal "house-faucets" (sounds stupid, but I don't know how to say this otherwise ;)
    Do you have an idea how to connect it and what I need for that?

7. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

It comes with a saddle valve which pierces and stays connected to your incoming water pipe. We mounted it to the back of my tank and ran the incoming and waste water hoses through a return vent next to my tank and into the basement..
    Here is a pic from my gallery...
    http://www.3reef.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?photo=birdlady/making_RO_DI.jpg

I also split the pure water outlet...one for top off and one for making Kalk water and water changes. Works out nice.

I don't know that you can hook yours up to the faucet if there is not a threaded piece on it. You could just tap into the water lines under the sink. and toss the wastewater line into the tub or sink. I have heard of people "recycling" the wastewater by putting it into the washer for clothes ;D

Hey! I could of used that freebie in my RV! They weren't offering that at the time...sweet!

10. hoodoo

hoodoo Fire Shrimp

ah, great. My hubby just told me that his parents want to get me a RO-Unit for christmas so I should tell him which one I want. I guess I figuered that out ;)