RO unit waste water

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by tooconceited, Oct 24, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

How many gallons of water have to go through the unit to get a gallon of the RO/DI water? I am going to start setting up a reef tank once I get done moving and wanted to get a RO/DI unit but was curious how much water they waste. Thanks. I'll have lots of other questions as I get started.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. skennelly

skennelly Coral Banded Shrimp

I think it depends on the type of RO unit you have and the type of membrane. Generally RO units produce 4 - 12 gallons of waste water per gallon of RO water. You could easily find out what your unit produces by running it and collecting a gallon of RO water and also collecting the waste water in another container and then figure out how much was produced to make a gallon.

Sean

4. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

I waste alot of water with mine a friend of mine uses the waste to fill his pool that the drain of the ro runs into. He fills the pool with clorine so why not kill two birds with one source

5. SAW39

SAW39 Ritteri Anemone

Tooconceited,
    I"ts been a month since your post. How's the tank setup coming along? Did you get a Ro/DI unit? Was it worth it?