RO/DI Waste water solution?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Nikon Samurai, May 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. longballz84

longballz84 Spaghetti Worm

wow thanks for the info...i cant believe how some companies market these for that type of use...

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

$2400 is not a bad price for a well. I am curious how you would do it yourself? Whats the table depth there? Around here it's 200-400 feet. As for lasting longer, it really depends on a lot of variables. Depends on how dirty the well water is compared to the tap, which all depends on your locale ;) In general, well water will be a little dirtier because of the sediment. But places like here, we have REALLY good tap. 70-80 on the TDS. I have actually been running my tank on tap from day one.
    Another option would be to look at the Kold Sterile filter's. They are double to triple the price of RO/DI unit's, but the produce ZERO waste water. They have highly advanced filter stages that remove stuff like chlorine, copper, etc, but will actually leave in calcium, magnesium, etc. Many reefer's actually prefer them to RO/DI. And with water prices like ours, it would probably pay for itself many times over in a fairly short period of time.

4. Nikon Samurai

Nikon Samurai Bristle Worm

i'm right on the coast. Most of the houses are on stilts because we have a huricane season that always floods inland for about a mile when a big storm passes through. I'm about 5 miles off the beach with a table of around 30 to 40 feet. Most wells are DIY. The only restriction is that the point needs to be pushed atleast 25 feet from a foundation. You cake a water hose and attach it to the end of your 2 inch PVC. Turn the water on full with the PVC pointing straight into the ground. The water acts as an auger and drills the pip down into the sandy ground. After you get the 2 inch down about 24 feet (3 sections) you start putting 1 inch pipe inside that. The one inch has the well point at the end to filter the water. What i didn't know at the time is inorder to get the pump to pull the water up you have to prime the air out of the pipe.

I just called the city and the water rates are back down. I asked why and the lady said "we've gotten a lot more rain this year" ... so looks like i'm safe for a while. I am currently paying $1.99 per 1000 gallons.

The tech at http://www.spectrapure.com/ has been extreemly helpful in setting my system up and understanding what is happening. If i had a well installed there would be no waste water because you would point the waste water directly back into the well line so it keeps cycling through or i can point the waste line into the irigation side of the well system so again no waste. What i can't figure out is if i'm not paying that much for water why is my bill still $150 per month. Looks like i'll be making another call to the city.

5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

That is a good price, or atleast where Im from around San Antonio TX. When we had a new well dug on our ranch it was around 11K and they had to go downwell 550 Ft to get the good stuff.. To prevent ever having to pay for another well being dug, I learned how to do it myself which is not difficult at all.
    If I lived closer I would come help you set your well up for free, because I just love doing it.. Also Im about to grad with a geology degree, so deep holes in the earth are exciting to me.. ;D

6. Nikon Samurai

I too love exploreing the earth. It was exciting last year when i tried to do it myself. I ended up using $100 in city water trying to auger the pipe down to 30 feet. Yesterday i called a guy that did a breakdown on the price for me. He said even if i would have gotten the pipe to work it wouldn't have been enough because i used a 1 inch pipe which is only enough to run one circuit at a time with one or two sprinkler heads on it. For the system i have i'll need a 4inch pipe. he said he'd drill it for me and hook up a pump for 1k using his water and not mine to auger. To run a RO/DI system off a well i was told i would need to get a good pump that never looses pressure so basically one that stays on all the time. The pump quote i received was $800 if i get it from this guy. I saw a few at lowes for $300 or 4. I'm going to do more research before i go through with it but all-n-all it sounds like a much better deal than dealing with the city. Last summer with irrigation i hit a $350 bill and haven't turned the sprinklers on since. The yard is really showing the lack of water. Now with the big reef tank i'm thinking it's time to make it happen.

7. Nikon Samurai

another good fact i learned is basically what you touched on. If you go down far enough to "hit" water the quality is full of iron which turned your yard brown AND dramatically shortens the life of your RO/DI system. Here in Wilmington NC I'll need to go down 100 feet to get the cleanest water i can.

8. Click Here!

9. sen5241b

sen5241b Astrea Snail

This is urban legend. RO water will not hurt you. You get plenty of minerals from food, even junk food --far more than can be leached out by drinking mineral free RO water.

If RO water were as bad as some claim, everyone in Vancouver Canada would now be dead. Tap water there is 20 ppm TDS and people drink it all the time.

People who did get sick drinking gallons of water in one sitting, got sick from Water intoxication which is dangerous regardless whether the water is RO or not.

Water intoxication - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

10. fuzzyfish

fuzzyfish Astrea Snail

I here that the vertex puratek ro/di unit has no waste water.

11. bwalker9801

bwalker9801 Zoanthid

I have a 5 stage ro/di from BRS in my laundry room i just run the waste line into my washing machine.Seems to work fine.If i'm not filling the washer i just stick the line into the washer drain.

12. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

i have a well in my back yard that was for a sprinkler setup that i never got around to fixing. could i pull my ro/di water from that well instead of my washer hook up? it hasn't been used in about 2 years if that matters.

and how far can i run the hose to my clean purified water storage? could it go around 30-40 feet through that small tubing from my well to my garage?

thanks

~Will.