RO/DI Waste water solution?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Nikon Samurai, May 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nikon Samurai

Nikon Samurai Bristle Worm

Per everyone's advice i purchased a RO/DI unit. After hooking it up and verifying with the companies tech support, i have a unit working to spec. The problem is it is working to spec. I have a 135g tank that takes 5 gallons of top off water each day. According to the correct waste to product ration i have to put out 25 gallons of waste/brine water to make one 5 gallon bucket of RO/DI water for my tank. How does everyone deal with the "waste". That seems like a lot of water to be dumping. I'm on a city line so i pay for it coming in and going out. There has to be a better way to put clean water in my tank. Any advice on how to save water and keep my tank running well would be greatly appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Landscaping would be about the only thing I would use it for. Whatever you choose, remember the waste from the unit is even dirtier and more contaminated than tap ;)

4. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Your waste to good water should be 4/1. Thats how my Spectrapure is. I pay $3 and change for 1000 gallons of cold water. I dump mine down the drain. You lose a lot of water for that size tank. What lighting do you have going?

5. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

those blue or white food grade barrels are great for storing water and if you hook a pump to them you can even water a lawn. I'm going to design some that will work off 1 barrel all the way up to 6 barrels. Some will be used for the waste water and the others will be used from our gutters, then the two systems will integrate into one perfect lawn watering system....I hope. Then if it catches on, I'll sell them! I've had this idea in my head for a long time and I think it needs to come out now. All Mosquito proof!

6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I already patented that gras while you were reading your next post to reply to. Too late. :laugh: :devilish:

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

so I'm not allowed to make my own design?:confused::confused::confused::(

you patented it while I was writing my next post reply?? I'm very confused(tired too)

8. Click Here!

9. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

yeh same here my unit is 4/1,

didn't somebody here on 3reef said they use it to fill there washer with? not sure if that's a good idea though.

having a reef tank and trying to be green isn't easy.

10. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

Sell it as filtered drinking water...

Just don't tell anyone the only thing that has been filtered out is the clean water. I am fairly certain this is standard procedure for most bottled water companies.

11. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Depends on the unit. On a 6 stage unit the input goes through a sediment and 2 carbon filters before the RO unit where the "waste" is used to flush the membrane. Only the RO water goes through the DI resin.

The "waste" may have a more of SOME stuff (by 20%) but the pre-filters removes 90% of the bad stuff before it hits the R/O unit.

And drinking RO/DI water is not healthy anyways, in large amounts it will sap your body of electrolytes and cause you to go into a shocky state.

As for my waste, I put it down the drain. No landscaping to put it on, and no washing machine either. I'm putting about 8-10 gallons a day down... I flush more than that through toilets.

12. longballz84

longballz84 Spaghetti Worm

if its not healthy to drink ro water why do some companies boast about these kits for your home and tank? for drinking, dishes, car, w/e...