RO/DI Units

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by bond300, May 2, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bond300

bond300 Plankton

Where is the best place to purchase a RO/DI? Are the home units equal to the ones on Saltwater sites?

2. Click Here!

3. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Not sure but I bought a 50gpd coralife ro/di and love it. Not expensive and after 2 weeks I've saved more money than what I spent on the unit. I can't believe I waited this long. It's so nice to not have to go buy water.

4. Pdxile

Pdxile Coral Banded Shrimp

5. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

A home one filter system is not quite the same.... most are only RO, not RO/DI.

That said...

A lot of people will swear by Spectrapure. They seem to be an extremely good brand, with great customer service.

I personally bought one from Air, Water, Ice Inc. It is a good unit, and I have had no issues with it. Customer service has been excellent as well.

You can get one off Ebay as well, but you must shop carefully and read the descriptions well. I am sure there are other vendors out there, I just don't know of them.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I used an AWI unit for a while.This spectrapure unit is hands down better.Spectrapure units are quite capable of removing chloramines.Something lesser units cannot handle as well. Starting with clean water is key.Over the long haul my SP unit saves me money on filter replacement.;)

8. Click Here!

9. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I always add a little prime just incase. Darn chloramines

10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

That would be my issue.. How much in filter replacement? I burn through 10gal every 10 days in the 300.. My LFS isn't far away, but the convenience of not having to leave the house for it has me seriously thinking of buying one.

11. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

CB filters can last a very long time(months to years depending on which filter). Need to make sure you get unit with in-line TDS meter and hand held would be good. With the TDS meter you know when it is time to change things instead of guessing.

12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Chris, you'll never regret getting an RO/DI unit buddy. Replacement filters aren't expensive and like the other chris said, they last quite a while. I added a dual in line TDS meter for 40 dollars, best money I've ever spent. I always have water on hand and never have to lug buckets or get looked at weird at Walmart when I leave with 60 one gallon jugs of distilled water. Lol.