RO/DI Unit Questions

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by ts383, May 25, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ts383

ts383 Astrea Snail

I started a tank a few months ago and am now looking to get an RO/DI unit, because I think it will be more beneficial in the long run. I've got a 55/gal tank, and I do a 20% water change every 2 weeks.

In looking at RO/DI units, I'm trying to find one that isn't too expensive, but will produce enough water for my needs...this is only going to be used for aquarium water, so I'd like to avoid drilling into my sink or countertop if at all possible.

Does anyone have any suggestions on units and installations, or some other resources than company websites telling me how easy their product is to install?

TIA

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

You can buy the 75-100 gpd ones for around $120 with the faucet adapter. Then store your water in a 30-40 gallon container with a lid on it...

Jim

4. ts383

ts383 Astrea Snail

Thanks.

Most of what I had seen were the ones that tie directly into your water line and come with a separate faucet to install (and while I'm all for good clean drinking water, I was raised on tap water, and gosh darn it, so shall be all my family) and I wasn't sure if the faucet adapter ones were really considered up to par with the other units.

5. ts383

ts383 Astrea Snail

Any more reputable units anyone knows of, or units to stay away from? I'm still learning from my SeaClone protein skimmer that I'm not the best judge of equipment I've never used before :)

6. JediReefer

JediReefer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

my 6 stage ebay RO/DI works great, there have been many debates over ebay/brand names and the cost difference isnt justifiable.

7. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

I just picked up an RO/DI 6-stage unit from "Aqua-Safe" which produces 100 gallons per day. I bought it new for CAD $165 and spent another $10 at Rona for a couple of plumbing pieces which allow me to connect the RO unit directly on my garden hose faucet in my garage. Works great, no leaks. I'm sure if you show up to your LHS (local hardware store) with the input hose from your RO unit they should be able to find the correct plumbing adapters.

This way I leave my house plumbing alone, save a couple of $$ on a plumber, and everyone in the house (read: wife) is happy.

The unit's output (100 gpd) is dead-on accurate because I filled a 22 gallon Rubbermaid container full of RO water in 6 hours.

Hope this helps and good luck.

8. Click Here!

9. cruzincaril

cruzincaril Plankton

counter top RO units

im replying to a post thats kind of old so hope some one is still out there..i had heard some of these counter top units still produce water with nitrates in it..:eek: so what to do? which units to look at ? i dont want to go undersink either..i have a 125 gal..do i need to change out 20 perc every two or would 10 be ok? hope i get a response..thanks:cheesy:

10. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

The purpose of the regular water changes will determine the amount needed. Are you changing water to doctor up bad water quality (nitrate issues for example)? Or, to replenish depleted nutrients in your tank(calcium as an example)? If you are doing the latter of the two I'd say yes to a smaller water change if you are also keeping up on supplementation. It all depends on if you are doing the changes to fix something or, because that is what is read in books. I do water changes to keep up on supplementation and the amount of the change, when I do it depends on what is being used up. As far as what units to look at, buy one that you have researched and get reviews or opinions on a ceretain unit. 3REEF is giving one away free in the video contest here. Check it out. This is only my opinion and the way I do water changes and have great water quality.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

12. cruzincaril

cruzincaril Plankton

thanks for that info..so that means with no water issues im looking at about 12 gals every two weeks..im coming off a 30 gal tank with like 5 every two weeks so im gonna have a lot of lugging unless i can come up with a better system..LOL..any ideas for me for my 125? i already have a lot of mushrooms..did have xenias and a sarco but lost them..i plan to have the soft corals and hopefully some lps...can u suggest some? if thats a pic of your tank its gorj..