ro di unit opinions

Discussion in 'Product Review Archives' started by dbates, Dec 28, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dbates

dbates Plankton

hey everyone,

i am getting ready to invest in an ro di unit for my tanks and am looking to buy one off of ebay, new of course with all the filters and ready to go. i have a lot of options, and i have found a unit that looks good, but i wanted to try and get a little feedback before i went and bought it.

heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20684&item=4345701315&rd=1

<its a 6 stage 100 gdp unit, that looks likes a good deal. I am planning on having it drain into a large 30 gallon bin, with a float valve, (something along those lines, i havent quite figured out the plumbing yet)

any opinions are appreciated, let me know if you need any more info,

thanks

dbates

2. Click Here!

3. allaboutfish37

allaboutfish37 Feather Duster

seems like a really good deal,to good does it come with everything?if so I would get it but why are you getting a 100gpd if you are going to put it 30gl? where are you going to get the water from? like mine I put my ro unit in the garage easy to tap in the water line and to keep the ro water "more room"

4. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

I don't see any drawbacks with that unit. I've got a five stage 100gpd I got off ebay that is similar and it works very well. I have heard that the pvc cannisters for the filters are not quite as strong as the clear ones but I am not a polymer expert. The price for the unit sure is right, and so are the replacement filter prices!!!

5. dbates

dbates Plankton

i was planning on having it fill into the bin i used to use for mixing salt water, but i am also wondering if it would be possible to just have a float valve in my sump and have it drain into the sump, would that be a good idea?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm not sure why you need an r.o./d.i. unit with so many stages?

7. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I have my top off set up in the sump hooked directly to my ro/di :D

8. Click Here!

9. beamer

beamer Sea Dragon

So do I. However, I've been warned that one of these days the float valve is going to get stuck and not only will my floors be flooded with salt water but the tank will be diluted so much that it could kill a lot of livestock.

I Have recently bought a Tunze top off unit that uses a reservoir. I plan on hooking up a float valve to the reservoir -just to fill it up and then turn off the valve once it is full- When water in the sump is low the pump in the reservoir will come on and pump ro out to the sump.

One of these days I will get around to hooking it up.

I bought mine from www.airwaterice.com. They've been in the business a long time and will answer any questions you have. I also bought a 6 stage dual/home unit that I can use also for drinking water. Since my line is run up through the attic and down to my pump I have a booster pump that I use along with it. Its especially useful if you have low water pressure and it makes it more efficient with less waste water.

Cindy

10. dbates

dbates Plankton

that sounds good, i was actually going to try and buy a double float valve, ive heard of ones you can buy that have a backup/emergency valve above the first one, i suppose it would be pretty safe.

11. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

I don't know of anyone who's toilet's float valve got stuck on open and flooded the bathroom! Hmmmm...I wonder what the odds are on that.....

Anything is possible however, esp when you involve calcium deposits! :)

12. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

Fortunately the toilet valve has an open drain in the toilet, a tank doesn't!!