ro/di top off water treatment

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by 10acrewoods, Mar 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

does anyone treat there top off water if using ro/di for example bring up ph or dose anything else.

2. Click Here!

3. 50JumpChump

50JumpChump Flamingo Tongue

Every time I top off ( using RO )I use some PH buffer is that what you mean??? I sure hope I'm right my LFS told me so..lol
    I dose the whole tank with a cup of tank water add the ph buffer then pour it back in. Is that what you meant or am I way off. 50JC

4. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I just add ro/di as is -- ph remains stable in tank

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

i too also use some buff to make sure I don't throw ph off. I loose a ton of water to evaporation and am always adding water. I go through about 2 gal a day.

6. kgross

kgross Skunk Shrimp

You do not need to add any buffer or anything to RO/DI water for top off. Once it is mixed witht he saltwater in the tank it will have the same pH as the rest of the tank. The pH of the RO/DI water is very very hard to measure, and will not effect the tank at all. By adding buffer, you are buffering the system, which as long as you are paying attention to the Ca/ALK levels is fine.

Kim