RO/DI system questions

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by mlong12, Jul 18, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mlong12

mlong12 Astrea Snail

Hey guys,

Not sure if this is the right forum for this, but seemed the best fit to the question. I am in the process of getting a larger tank setup, and think the RO/DI system for initial fill and water changes would be the cheapest option. Currently for my 13 gal I buy pre-packaged ocean water in 5 gal increments, but its 20 bucks per 5 gal and would add up pretty quickly. Now for my question: What are some good systems for the money? I'm willing to spend a little more for quality, but good prices are preferred. The new tanks I'm looking at are between 40-60 gallons.

Thanks!

DSC reef likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

I have a 4 stage 75gpd BRS RO/DI system. I literally just replaced the filter media on Saturday and filled a 5 gallon jug of 0 TDS water in just about an hour. They go for 199.99 but I think I got mine on sale for 169.99. BRS runs decent sales from time to time, but even at 200 bucks it's not bad considering it's no tax and no shipping... $20 for 5 gallons of saltwater is crazy, heck, premium gasoline isn't $4 a gallon... YIKES

4. mlong12

mlong12 Astrea Snail

Thanks! Yeah, they are expensive, not to mention its a lot of work to go out and get them every time I need them. The store I go to only has them sometimes too.

BRS was what I was looking at, but wanted to ask on here to make sure it was a good system. Thank you!

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Spectrapure with out a doubt.

DSC reef likes this.
  6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

Spectrapure, aquafx are great high quality systems. Either way, your making a good choice by making your own RODI water.

Lovemyreef2015 likes this.
  7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

DSC reef likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. mlong12

mlong12 Astrea Snail

And even though its refurbished it still works great?

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Don't let the refurbished name fool you, it is a brand new system but may have a scuff, scratch or scrape on a housing or bracket. Most buyers cannot find any blemishes.
    No other vendor comes even close to Spectrapure. They specially treat all their RO membranes which is shown to improve their performance, then either batch or individually hand test them and in the case of the Select series membranes guarantee them in writing. They custom blend all their DI resins so you get only the best, freshest resin for reef use. They use only low micron absolute or near absolute sediment and carbon block filters and capillay tube flow restrictors so you can adjust the waste ratio to fit your exact water conditions. You won't find all that anywhere else and it all adds up to longer filter life and lower cost per gallon of water treated.

DSC reef likes this.
  11. mlong12

mlong12 Astrea Snail

Awesome thank you! I really haven't found a better price than the refurbed 90 GPD either. The higher output will also come in handy when filling my new tank.

Thank you everyone for the help!

DSC reef and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  12. mlong12

mlong12 Astrea Snail

One more question: Do I need to get anything extra like fittings or tubing or anything like that with the Spectrapure, or is it ready to use out of the box?