Ro/di system hookup

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Mindyv82, Sep 5, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mindyv82

Mindyv82 Astrea Snail

Hi all,

I'm new to the site, however I have been in the hobby for four years. I had a 30 gallon tank filled with mushrooms and zoas that had reached weed-like proportions. Unfortunately hurricane Irene left me with no power for 6 days and my tank crashed. I've decided (once I invest in a generator) to do a few upgrades and hopefully in a year be ready to try my hand at Sps corals. I currently use the aquarium pharmaceuticals tap water filter to remove phosphates from my water with a garden hose adapter. I'm looking into an ro unit knowing the water quality will need to be much higher for the Sps corals. My biggest problem is my new home's water faucets do not allow an adapter to be placed on them, and come winter I will have to turn off the hose bibs. I was wondering if anyone has connected a portable ro unit to their laundry cold water pipe, or if this is even possible. Any suggestions or advice would be welcome. Thanks in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

yes i use a y adapter on my washing machine facet to hook my Rodi up.

and welcome to 3reef

4. donpepingarcia

donpepingarcia Plankton

I just did exactly that. any hardware store sells a male threaded Y adaptor. With each side of the Y, being adjustable (shut off valve)......(this is good, because it allows you to control the pressure to the ro di unit) Attach this Y to your cold water on the laundry spiggot......one side of the Y feeds your washing machine, the other side feeds to your RO/DI unit hook up (some come with this hose bib attachment, other units you have to add this as an option).

dpg

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

6. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

thats what i use on my washer line. i got mine at lowes for about 8 bucks.

7. Mindyv82

Mindyv82 Astrea Snail

Thanks for all the quick replies and advice!

8. Click Here!

9. lucky_r

lucky_r Plankton

Hey AZDesertRat, I realize this Y adapter is going onto the input of the RODI, but is brass still as safe to use as zinc or plastic, from the standpoint of copper possibly sneaking through? Thanks.

10. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

That is a great point, but I have known people to use garden hoses as their water source lol. A lot of times people even hook up their systems to the copper pipe under their kitchen sinks. I don't think that it will be an issue. I think that the RO/DI system would filter out any leaching copper anyways.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Copper or brass are fine on the tap water side. Its the RO and especially RO/DI water that is agressive and leaches metals so don't use any metals on the treated side.

12. lucky_r

lucky_r Plankton

Thanks AZ & Stickysmith, and Happy New Year to all!

1 person likes this.