RO/DI Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by JMALACHI, Oct 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

When i was new the biggest thing i was looking at was the DI factor. If your on municpal(town) water... i would be willing to bet you would get less than 10 on a tds just from the RO membrane, the pre-filter, and the carbon. However the DI stage removes all the rest of the important junk. Make sure you invest in a dual tds meter (i didnt and i should have).

some companies that build these ro/di systems buy cheap stuff so watch that! not to say any of them mentioned here do that.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I have a MaxCap, and I usually have a ~140 to 180 TDS incoming. After RO, I have a 1 TDS the majority of the time.

4. Bunner

5. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

If you don't want to do any plumbing, you could grab a ZeroWater pitcher. It comes with a free TDS meter. I used one filter to fill my 29g tank and perform a water change. I just changed the filter to do my 2nd water change yesterday but each filter will last me a few months. They sell them at Bed Bath & Beyond if you're in a hurry for 0 TDS water like I was.

Filling up a 5 gallon bucket to perform a WC takes ALOT of time so I can't wait to get an in-line RO/DI unit smoeday.

6. Bunner

I just checked out those zero water pitchers!!! yikes! that would be alot of work

7. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's also insanely expensive compared to using RODI. ZeroWater is DI only, which means the amount of resin needed to treat the water is something like doubled for every 2 TDS in the incoming water. They come with far less resin than a real RODI, too, so you're gonna burn through those cartridges quickly.

8. Click Here!

9. GjB

GjB Skunk Shrimp

Oh I know it! The company says that with national average TDS, you'll want to replace your filter every 30 gals. I knew this going in. ZeroWater is just a short term source of 0 TDS water for me. Once I get an RO/DI unit, my life will be much easier (and also having RO which ZeroWater does not), I will be replacing filters MUCH less frequently. Filling the tank for the first time took several days of filtering, pitcher by pitcher. It really tested my patience.