RO/DI Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by JMALACHI, Oct 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

I have no statistics, no in-depth views, but I've owned 3 RO/DI units over the years. One was from Air, Water and Ice, another was the Spectra and I forget the third. All were great units and I would buy either of them again. I've been getting my replacement filters from The Filter Guys.... I like their prices and I like their products.

2. Click Here!

3. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I have a 90GPD MaxCap, and I love it. I have incoming 150~200 TDS, and after the MaxCap resin (first DI) I have 0 TDS. That's before the 2nd DI. My membrane is running a consistent 99% + rejection rate, with 1 or 2 TDS coming out of it (before DI at all). I've run over 300 gallons of DI so far from the unit, with the same approximate readings. They expect I can make another 300 gallons before I replace just the MaxCap resin (which is insanely long lasting compared to other DI resin blends) then another ~1500 before I replace the second DI stage. This alone is a savings of hundreds over the life of the unit compared to normal RODI units.

This is by far better than any other unit I've owned or even heard stories about on the internet or when talking to other people. The MaxCap was $250 over the summer, and is regularly priced at $350. I wavered because of the price originally, but ended up getting it on that sale because of a thorough comparison of features between similarly priced units (look at everything; prefilter micron ratings, reviews, pressure gauge, dual inline TDS meters, capillary flow restrictor, long term survivability of parts and RO membrane/DI resin, GPD rating) revealed the MaxCap was by far the better value. I would gladly have paid $350 if I knew that the results would be this good.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Filter Guys does not carry the same quality products. They do not use 0.5 micron absolute rated prefilters. 0.5 micron carbon blocks or treated and tested guaranteed RO membranes. They also do not custom blend all of their DI resins. There is a difference.

5. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

Thanks for the info. I'm going to check them out now.

6. phil47952

phil47952 Plankton

Ro/di

BRS...Bul Reef Supply, you can't go wrong!!

7. montecarloz38

montecarloz38 Fire Shrimp

8. Click Here!

9. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Untitled Document
    RO/DI SYSTEMS

Take a look at the CSP-DI it gets you a 90 GPD membrane and a dual inline TDS meter for just a bit more than the MaxPure you linked to but then again your link has free shipping and most report the shipping is around $18 from Spectrapure.

Either way you will want and need a TDS meter either handheld or inline, I prefer the handheld myself.

The Ebay ad is not very accurate either, notice in the second Spectrapure link the MaxPure comes with a 0.5 micron prefilter and a 0.5 micron carbon block not 1 and 10 microns.

11. R. PHD

R. PHD Plankton

Hi AZdesertRat,

Can you clarify what you mean by when you mentioned that the spectrapure unit flushes the membrane with RO water and not tap water? what do yo mean by this? is thsi done automatically by the unit? This is in reference to all units or just certain ones..i.e Maxcap 90 unit?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 11, 2011
  12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The MaxCap UHE uses a microprocessor to flush the membrane with stored DI water unlike any other system on the market. This is unique to that particular unit.