RO/DI Suggestions Please

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by JMALACHI, Oct 22, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

definitely go with spectrapure

2. Click Here!

3. ManNurseReefer

ManNurseReefer Fire Shrimp

It really dosnt matter what brand you use as long as the end product is water with a 0 TDS reading.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

But it does matter. Many units do not filter as well or last as long so the cost of ownership and operating cost are much higher.
    Any RO/DI should, thats the key word, should get you to 0 TDS, the measure of quality is how long it maintains 0 TDS.

This is where many units fall down on the job and end up costing you more sine they require more frequent replacements. Yes it may have cost less initially but over a short period of time that cost far exceeds the cost of a quality unit and continues to cost more.

A quality system may cost $25 or $50 more initially but you recoup that difference in longer filter and component life and it continies to save as long as you own it..

Don't be fooled by the ebay vendors who tout their systems as the best thing since sliced bread, with RO/DI you really do get what you pay for.

5. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

I really wish spectrapure's prices were lower and offered free shipping instead of adding another 30 some odd dollars to get it shipped. I was leaning towards spectrapure but I just can't see myself spending 200 + on equipment that makes me pure water that only my fish can benefit from. I'm bummed. All I'm missing for my upgrade is good water.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Quality costs money, there is no way around it and they have no equal.
    Everyone I have seen posting shipping costs said it was around $18 to ship the ProPlus or CSP-DI.

7. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

AZDesertRat, Do you work for them? If so then your opinion is biased and not just based on experience. I appreciate the great information but I'm learning about them and want to know what people think based on experience. You have not said anything based on you actually owning one. I'm sorry if this sounds rude. Not my intentions. I still thank you for your info.

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

No, I have no connection to them. I work for a major environmental engineering firm and before that managed and supervised municipal water and wastewater systems for 30 years.

I am an end user like yourself but have had the opportunity to work in water labs and have owned about 7 RO/DI systems over the years so have seen the majority of them.
    Over the last 15 years I have owned a Watts Premier, a AWI Typhoon III, a 90 GPD MaxCap, a dual membare 240 GPD MaxCap, a 50 GPD h2osplashwatersystems RO and now a MaxCap UHE.

At the plants I worked at we had many different systems for different uses too including DI only, Barnstead and many others.

10. JMALACHI

JMALACHI Feather Duster

Well that's really good to know. Again, I hope I didn't sound rude. Just curious because you seem to sell them. Lol. Thanks again for the input

11. Eddie

Eddie Flamingo Tongue

You might look into Aqua Engineering and Equipment (AKA AquaFX). They now have a 1:1 ratio RODI setup, which means a LOT less waste water down the drain. They also have excellent prices on standard units from 50 to 300 GPD with 2 to 9 stage units available (of course 0 TDS). The support is also great, they really stand behind their units and support them. Their website is Aqua FX - Aqua FX. Solid units IMO. Many out there though as mentioned above. Spectrapure is also a good brand, but I don't know how well the support their sales.
    -Greg

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Spectrapure has the best warranty and customer service in the industry besides being in business in the sam town for over 25 years with a brick and mortar storerfront.

The AquaFX system will not last long as it like other imitators uses tap water to flush the membrane. The Spectrapure MaxCap UHE is the only unit on the market with a proven track record and thousands of hours or lab, beta and real world testing and uses stored DI water to both flush and pickle the membrane unlike all others. I have been using one for over two years in Phoenix with a tap water TDS between 600 and 800 and running it at less than 1:1 waste ratio. The membrane is still averaging 99.35% rejection rate and I have yet to change the SilicaBuster DI cartridge. Thats with a 100G system with a 30G sump and a 16G nano. I guarantee a system that flushes with tap wate rwould never achieve anywhere close to that, thats why I invested in the best.

There are at least two others who have attempted to copy the UHE but none uses DI water and they all have problems as repored on all the reef forums. Again the UHE was not cheap but its the only proven system available today.