RO/DI Question???????`

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jzenob, Sep 21, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jzenob

jzenob Coral Banded Shrimp

So i have my RO/DI system going into a garbage can with a float valve shut off. Now My RO/DI water stops coming out when it hits the valve BUT the waste water still keeps on running out? Is the suppose to happen? Should the waste water be flowing non-stop.....i mean thats alot of water wasted each day? whats the problem......please help

2. Click Here!

3. SpectraPure

SpectraPure 3reef Sponsor

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Does the RO unit have an autoshutoff valve? If not you need what Scott is suggesting. If it has an autoshutoff valve you may still need the small bladder tank and a check valve to make it work properly.

5. jzenob

jzenob Coral Banded Shrimp

Is there any way you can DIY this??

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Sure, a $8-$12 autoshutoff valve and a $15 float valve with a few feet of 1/4" tubing.

I prefer float switches and a solenoid valve myself as it reduces the effects of TDS creep associated with a float valve kicking on and off multiple times a day. There are lots of options though and its DIYed all the time.

You may or may not need a bladder tank, some work OK without one while others need a pressure tank of some sort in the line as a cushion. I used to use a drinking water pressure tank myself.