RO/DI Help Plz

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by philip_r5, Feb 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Chucky

Chucky Flamingo Tongue

I don't know if how i'm going about this is right(this is my first filter)I just got the hose/laundry atachment. if it has to trickle all day to fill my bucket it can.if i need a canister then i can just get one. I'll just wing it for now, saving $130 sounds good to me, how much do canisters cost?

It arrives today so I'll see exactly all that i need to get this thing going and I'll post on it's performance and water perimeters

Cheese-heads ftw ;P Doctors Froster & Smith's also has VERY good customer service!Thats something to take into account especially when shopping online and that kent marine system looks to be top quality!!

2. Click Here!

3. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

trickle

Trickling it is just fine. But you may want to invest in a float switch. When the water level reaches the set point the water must be shut off. As in close the valve. You cannot use a electrical switch like ATOs. The system will shut off only when the valve is stopped. Mine, with a tank, will continue to produce water until the tank is full and the pressure shuts off the RO/DI unit.

Zak

4. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

5. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

Tunze

I have Tunze 3155 ATO .... It is awsome!

Zak

6. Chucky

Chucky Flamingo Tongue

Yea it's trickling alright.hehe but seems to work just fine. Hooked it up very easily(there are also two different faucet/sink attachments)and am producing water ..slowly. I'm not running a huge reef tank so this should work very well for me. I should have enough water for a water change in about an hours time and top offs shouldnt take anytime at all....and the best part is!!! MADE IN THE USA

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

In the time it took me to write this post and resize some pics i've gotten this much water lol So mabey 5-6 gallons an hour, could be worse...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2008
  7. BuckeyeFieldSupply

BuckeyeFieldSupply Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

To address the question re horizontal DI stages:

Horizontal DI housings are a design intended to minimize the original cost of the system - you should be prepared for the tradeoffs. Horizontal DI units typically contain 8 oz. to 16 oz. of resin. Typical vertical DI cartridges contain 20 oz of resin. Obviously the more resin contained in the housing the longer it will last and the better treatment it will provide.

Some horizontal DI housings are not refillable - you'll therefore have to pay for a new housing every time you need to replace the DI resin. The cost of repeatedly replacing the horizontal housing will far outweigh any money saved up-front in purchasing the unit.

Perhaps most importantly, horizontal DI housings are a less than ideal arrangement for water treatment. DI resin beds shrink through normal use over their life span. You'll note that a cartridge that was full when new can sometimes have a ¼ inch of empty space in it when fully expended. When DI resin settles in a horizontal housing, it leaves a pathway (of least resistance) along the top of the housing where water can flow while coming into minimal contact with the DI resin.

You’ll note that the output from the DI housing is at the center of the end of the housing. Depending upon how your system is configured, RO water may enter the DI housing in port, fill up the housing until the water level reaches the out port (i.e., fill up the bottom half of housing), and then exit the DI housing. Your RO water has been in contact only with half the resin in the housing.

8. Click Here!

9. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Thank you for the clarification. Mine is horizontal with the opening in the center and it is refillable. What would happen if you just turned it 90 degrees so the water has to go up through the resin to exit at the top?

Thanks,

Jim

10. BuckeyeFieldSupply

BuckeyeFieldSupply Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That would be a move in the right direction.

11. glblguy

glblguy Spaghetti Worm

Excellent advice Zak. Learned this the hard way the other night when I left mine running, got busy working on the computer and watching TV...all of the sudden i remembered...ran out to the garage and overflowed by Brute trashcan! :eek: Fortunately it wasn't too bad, but ordered a float switch the next morning.

Seems I have this ability to consistently learn things the hard way...

12. Z-Ice

Z-Ice Flamingo Tongue

hehehe

I had mine installed in the kitchen. When I need water I have a 5 gallon water cooler jug I fill up. I keep it full all the time. When I fill my ATO container I just refill the 5 gallon jug in the kitchen. hehehe I turn the DI water on an let it flow into the 5 gallon container... it's kinda slow so no big deal... Well when you feed fish and play around with a tank early in the morning before work things slip your mind. Well they did for me. I went to work and came home at 2pm. I was like WTH! The guy I have subleasing from me came down stairs a few hours after I went to work and found the kitchen flooded. It flooded so much it started going down into the basement. hehehehe I was so mad when I came home. Not about the water....about my dumb roommate. He puts the end of the filler in my sink to drain. The idiot doesn't shut the water off. My DI water is running down the drain. You would think ...oh I guess I could shut it off...or oh what is going on here. I better call my roommate. Nope let it drain.

The worst part is I do not learn from my mistakes. I fill the container like always...but on the weekend I also clean my tank for algae. I did not realize how long I was working... well I flooded the kitchen again... luckily the 5 gallon was almost empty when I started. Only like 3 gallons waisted on the floor.

Zak

Last edited: Mar 6, 2008