ro/di filter replacement

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by phongt86, Jul 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

i need to replace my ro/di filter is it all one size? i got a aquamaxx

i had it for about 6 months never change the filters for but i only need to change the two filter (i think) the DI seems to be still dark im gussing just the micron carbon

can i go to homedeopt to buy it?

2. Click Here!

3. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The filters at HD and Lowes are not reef quality.
    To check the DI condition you need a TDS meter, I never ever rely on color changing DI resins and most are highly iunaccurate and its almost always too late and you have been passing silicates, phosphates and nitrates for months.
    Filters are mostly universal and are on sale here:
    SpectraPure Customer Appreciation SALE! 20% - 50% off

I use a 0.5 or 0.2 micron prefilter and a 0.5 micron carbon block for best protection of the RO membrane. Make sure you follow the manufacturers or vendors instructions and disinfect the system while you have it apart for filter changes.

4. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  5. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

I have a plain ro/di with no accessories where do u suggest I buy them like flush valve, pressure gages flow restricter (can home depot help)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  6. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

It's easier to find what you want online.Spectrapure,AirWaterandIce,and Buckeye Field Supply are all good sites.

7. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

HD and Lowes type stores are fine for the occasional 1/4" speed fitting, tubing or ball valve but are limited otherwise.

phongt86, I would use a 0.2, 0.5 or 1.0 micron prefilter, a 0.5 or 1.0 micron carbon block and the SilicaBuster DI resin if it were mine. And yes, the filters should all be standard size replacements.

Aquamaxx does exactly what I hate to see in a system, they are forcing the carbon block to act as a prefilter which fouls the pores in the carbon rendering it useless for chlorine removal, thats why they use two carbons.
    Poor idea since carbon blocks are more expensive than even high quality absolute rated prefilters. One prefilter, one carbon block, one membrane and normally one full size vertical DI, thats a good reef quality system design using properly rated filters like the 0.5 micron.

8. Click Here!

9. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

Azdesertrat 3reef.com need to cut u a check u have help me so much with this hobby

I would of retire if I didn't get good advices from this forums

So this is the order from right to left

0.5 Micron Sediment
    1.0 micron Carbon
    Silica-Buster DI Cartridge (Non Color Indicating)

Should I order .2 micron sediment or can I wait till next time I order the membrane

10. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I would do the 0.5 micron carbon block for the $3 difference in price, you get over double the performance and it does a better job of protecting the RO membrane for longer life and higher water quality.

11. phongt86

phongt86 Bristle Worm

Should I get the .2 sediment also?

12. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

For most water conditions the 0.5 micron absolute rated prefilter is sufficient. I use the 0.2 myself but I monitor my water conditions and filter condition more than the average user so extend its changes out significantly, something I don't recommend if you do not monitor closely.