RM's 30g planted (updated pics 01/03/11)

Discussion in 'The Planted Tank' started by reefmonkey, Sep 16, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Now that I am an expert reef keeper (HAHA RIIIIGHT ;D ) I decided to try another little challenge and set up a 30 gallon freshwater. I've never done a planted tank, always the plastic fakes, and after looking at pics of some like 2in10's decided I wanted to experience one for myself. I'm a newbie all over again and already learning fast about what works and what doesn't. The tank has the stock lighting which isn't near enough so I've already had to order a new PC fixture that will move me up into the mid range of light levels. lol.
    Inhabitants are a handful of guppies, 5 mystery snails and a pleco.

Here it is so far.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

babies already!!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Looking great! Awww babies!! :) Do you have a baby box thingy for them, so they don't get eaten?

Can't wait to see growth pics - of plants and little fishies!

1 person likes this.
  4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

looks pretty cool to me Reefmonkey

Steve

1 person likes this.
  5. bama

bama Humpback Whale

very cool. I wish I had the extra space to do a large freshwater planted tank.

1 person likes this.
  6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Nope, no fry box. but there is plenty of hiding spots in the plants and the driftwood.

I hope I can get the plants to grow! The more I read, the more work I see it being. LOL Almost as much work as a reef tank.

7. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Yes, fry box. LOL That's the correct term. Though I like baby box thingy better :).

Good luck with the plants! If you can get them to grow, you might inspire me to set up a planted tank! Now, that's a lot of pressure :) Haha jk

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Looking good, good scape

1 person likes this.
  10. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Tank is looking good. I actually had a harder time with a planted tank then I did with my reef tank lol. They can get tricky when battling algae since the plants and algae need the same things. Good luck with it. When done good they can look spectacular!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

11. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

The trick here is to have fast growing plants to take up the nutrients before the algae can. An even mix of fast growing and slow growing plants is the way to go.

1 person likes this.
  12. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Update to the 30 + a new 10 gallon

Well I changed the scape a bit on the 30 gallon and replaced the florescent light with a 65 watt power compact 6700k strip. Was a major improvement in growth.

The new look
    [​IMG]

Also when I set up a 10g that was given to me Randy at aquariumplants.com tossed me a bulb and said see if this will grow. It is growing fast but I have no idea what type of plant it is. Not that it matters much, just curious. The pic isn't the best for detail. It has long heart shaped leaves that are a rusty red.
    [​IMG]

Heres a couple shots of the 10 gallon. It's pretty well densely planted and please ignore the blurry Cremesicle Mollies. That tank was supposed to only be home to three Sunset Platy's. The mollies were a mis-shipment and were supposed to be two Pacific Sunset guppy males.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm really getting into this planted tank stuff lol. Wish I had done it sooner actually. My next build is going to be a planted African rift. I'm pretty excited about it because I am getting back into cichlids and all of the rock in the tank is coming from Maloney. It's going to be pretty sweet. ;D

1 person likes this.