RKL 1 Questions

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by ccscscpc, Feb 25, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

I just got this unit today, installed, mounted and connected it. The temp probe is in and working fine displaying correct date and time and temp on the display screen.

My question is with the PC 4 plug unit. I want to do 2 things...plug my 2 300w heaters in and have them come on and off according to temps i set.

The second thing is plug my 2 250w metal halide lights into it and have them come on and off at certain times.

Questions are what plugs to I use for the heaters and what plugs do I use for the lights? Does it matter?

Also where do you program this stuff...?

One more question is....with the RKL 1 can I have the lights shut off if a temp gets too high and then come on again in like 45 minutes?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. rdarris

rdarris Feather Duster

plug 1 and 4 on the PC4 are up to 8 amps and 2-3 are 6 amps (whole thing is 15 amp total). are your 2 MHs on one plug? if so use socket 1 or 4. if their on separate plugs it doesn't matter whats where all the sockets will work for any of the items you listed

as for turning light s off for 45 minutes when temp goes up, not sure. i don't get my RKE till tomorrow so i haven't got to play with it yet.

300W is roughly 2.75 amp. and 250W roughly 2.25, depending on your house base voltage

4. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

I have a dual ballast that has 2 plugs coming from it....so those I will plug into 1 and 4?!?

Then the heaters into 2 and 3 I guess!?!

Now to figure out the programming....

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Yes you can have the lights shut off on over temperature and come back on at at lower temperature which you select. I have mine set like that. To save plugs I have my lights plugged into a outlet strip which is plugged in to one outlet of the PC4, this gave me an extra plug for things like a fan which comes on over the sump if it reaches that over temperature but is off otherwise.
    If you ahve problems or questions with the programing go to the DA Support forum here:
    http://www.forum.digitalaquatics.com/viewforum.php?f=61&sid=9d5e7e79a9c25232aec3aaaf2c7d468f

They have a bunch of end users on there are very good at walking you through the process, even I understood most of them and I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box.

6. ccscscpc

ccscscpc Millepora

I finally figured some of it out...The book is good, but the menu's can be tricky at first. Once you get used to them then its not so bad.

I like that idea with the power strip....I may do that for the 2 heaters in have on there, then I can add another power strip for fans....that actually gives you a couple extra plugs.

Probably not supported but should work!

Anyone see any problems with doing that with heaters and fans?