river water

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by con999, Nov 24, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

hi im thinking about setting up a freshwater tank. im looking at 20 long. but im wondering if i can use river water from the fox river(chicago area) its a clean river with no know river polutants upstream.i have owned saltwater tanks befor and i know you can use real ocean water. so i wanted to know if the same would pass in freshwater

thanks

2. Click Here!

3. con999

4. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Freshwater has a large variance in parameters. The Amazon is much different water than Tanganyika water. Look at it this way: African cichilds usually need pH of 7.5 to 8.5, while a cardinal tetra will want anywhere from 5.5 to 7. Be prepared to buffer, add air, inject CO2, or do all of the above to get it right.

Also, you have no known pollutants, but that doesn't mean there are no pollutants. How do you know that there won't be any runoff in 6 months from a rainstorm after a field at a farm has been fertilized or just maneuer runoff from a livestock farm? A company won't dump something in the water only every month to avoid environmental regulations?

Last edited: Nov 24, 2010
  5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I agree with blackraven. The risk is not worth taking. Quality water is so easily had now a days. If something should go wrong with the tank down the line you will not to worry that is was the river water.

6. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Most water in rivers will have polutions..I would take the risk

7. con999

you would or wouldent i dont think i am i was just think same some money on not buying more rodi fitlers

8. Click Here!

9. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

I wouldn't. The way this hobby seems to work out most of the time is "Save money here, lose money there."

10. Flaring Afro

Flaring Afro Purple Spiny Lobster

You don't use ro/di water for freshwater. There has to be nutrients. Salt mixes have the needed nutrients in it already. Use tap water with a water conditioner, unless you have really bad tap and then use spring water.

11. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

I would do some more research on the river. As rivers do tend to be polluted due to all the run off but yours may be clean, I don't know.

I would say yes if you had a pond or creek on your property.

12. skiergd011013

skiergd011013 Peppermint Shrimp

or just use tap water and let it sit in a bucket for 24 hrs before you use it. no water conditioner needed.