Rising Mag

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Peredhil, Nov 30, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Today marks the 4th week in a row I have tested for Mag.

Here are my 4 weeks worth of test results

KH 10 10 10 10
    PH 8.4 8.4 8.2 8.2
    CA 400 380 380 380
    Mg 1320 1320 1340 1360

My Mg is going up. (This could be that I'm just getting better with the Red Sea Mg test too, giving me a more accurate reading... maybe).

No corals yet. Do have inverts.

I have a WC scheduled for next week, FYI. After that WC, I plan on measuring and seeing what I need to dose to get some of these numbers a bit higher so I can get use to doing that before I add any coral.

But the Mg has got me puzzled. Any thoughts?

(I have the rest of my params, if needed).

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

What, if anything, have you been adding. If you're not adding epsom salt, and there's no Mag in any of the other products you might be dosing, then maybe it's just your testing.
    There's probably some Mag (maybe 1200-1300 ppm) in the salt mix you're using. Some have more or less depending on the brand.

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Bogie pretty much stated it.......

.....and just watch those numbers fluctuate when you get corals!!!! It is cool to watch.

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

In this 4 week period I have done zero water changes and I do not dose anything at all. For now anyway.

As an FYI, I use Instant Ocean.

I add top off water... And I added a Royal Gramma ;)

That leaves my testing... which I'm more than happy to accept... what strikes me about it is the steady, even rise over the last 3 weeks. But that rise is probably only a difference of a single drop from the syringe.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would test your water change water before you add it to the tank.
    If you buffer your water change water to be where you want it, then you don't have to guess with the entire tank volume

J

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I will test the mg of my wcwater.

So what i am hearing is that if my mg is rising it must come from being added. the rising or lowering of any other param wont have anything to do with it, right.
    Posted via Mobile Device

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

Peredhill, your Mg levels are perfect, like you stated you are most likely just getting better at the testing procedure. Mg isn't used very heavily, even by corals, or at least not as much as people think. The reason most of us have to add Mg is most salt manufactors leave Mg to a minimum as it isn't always a cheap addition so it is cut to low levels to save money. Also they know the average hobbyist DOESN'T test for Mg so if they only add 1000ppm of Mg who will notice, right?
    I would let things ride for a while, keep testing but don't add anything.

Good luck and good job w/ the diligence in testing!!

10. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Thanks for the feedback folks!

I will continue to log my results and monitor the Mg - I want to watch my Mg trends for a few more weeks. Keeping a log is so frickin useful!!!

I will also test my WCWater - see what its Mg is. I use Instant Ocean. If my Mg numbers are good, it's because Instant Ocean has a good amount... I haven't dosed anything

11. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

If it is the IO I honestly would be very surprised!! Last time I tested it, it was like 1000ppm or something and I know memebers of my club have recently tested it(after reformulation) and it didn't increase incredibly. I would like it if you could post the test results of the batch, do you use RO water?
    If you really want to do me a favor since I've been too busy lately to retest all the salts,
    is mix up a batch to either 1.025-1.026 and test Ca, alk, and Mg. That would be awesome

Good luck

12. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

Next weekend is when I'm planning on the WC. I already have it mixed. I will test then.