Riddle Me this Batman

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by techno2, Dec 25, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

OK, I have been away for awhile, no excuses just here and there,

So I am still fighting Ich / Velvet or something in my Salt Water tank. Done that been there with all the treatments and ideas.

My question comes down to this,. So if the Ich and Velvet have life cycles and without fish they die off, one would think if I had 4 healthy fish for 2 months that the tank would be parasite free. Or at lease I would think that.

So, is my thinking correct ? Well, i have my 4 original fish, Snowflake, Flame Angel, Blenny, Banded Shrimp and they have been fine through all treatments and ect. Any new fish added, LFS or mail order all are sure to die within 2 weeks with what appeard to be ick/velvet.

Aside from starting over, any fancy ideas for me ? Or should I just stick with the original gang of fish that seem to be immune to this..

Shrug..

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

You do have ICK in tank. Will always have.

Newly arrived fish in great stress. May be further stressed by tank mates not wanting to share space...Recent addition's immune systems cannot fight off the parasite and quickly succumb.

QT them for while, get them back to good health before adding to tank.

You may want to consider trading in Flame for more peaceful fish in small tank...or be happy with what you have. :-/

Good water params a must.

Good Luck!

"Batman" - ;)

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  4. Nemo 22

Nemo 22 Coral Banded Shrimp

that seems like alot of fish for a 46.i learned from freshwater that if you turn the heat up a bt ich wont effect fish so much.but i have never done it to sw and never heard of someone one do it to sw.

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I'm going to guess that most fish would get stressed all to bits with a predator like a snowflake eel in the tank. this combined with the stress all the travel from ocean to store to your tank. Could be enough to cause an ick outbreak.

J

6. techno2

techno2 Stylophora

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
    So OK, I know what they say about the snowflake, but the only time he comes out from under the rock is to feed. I just can see him stressing anyone out. Now the Flame Angel might slap the eel around with his tail, but I never see him bugging anyone.

NEMO - 1 Flame 2", 1 Eel 16", 1 Shrimp, 1 Gobie and some crabs is too much for a 46 ? The tank looks empty. Now my 90 Cichlid is full, but I dont know about the Marine.

OK, So I was going to use my 20g to quarantine all new fish, but I guess I just have not seen the stress. When I add new fish they ALWAYS eat right away and swim around and be merry. Do you always see stress ?

I keep reading its always in there, but I go back to my original rebut, if there is a life cycle and Ich dies without attaching to a host, how can you not remove it ??

Water params, Changes, Garlic, Vita Chem, ect. yup do all that.

7. djnzlab1

djnzlab1 Aiptasia Anemone

My 2 cents

HI,
    I am fairly new to saltwater, But I have noticed that Ick is always present in a tank, you can try to islolate, medicate and generally nuke your tank and you may have it raise its ugly head.
    What works for me is feed green less meat more spriella, be sure it has garlic in it. I always feed green first most of my fish should eat more veggies than meat.
    Water quality is very important to health and immunity, if the water off the fish are off. ditto for inverts. huge swings in KH and temps can stress fish.
    If you fighting algae you may have some issues.
    The older the fish the more resistant to ich,its probably and accquired immunity. older fish don't get it.Some fish are magnets for ich tangs seem to have it more frequently in the LPS, but it may be stress related.
    I do have a skimmer lots of filtration and rock and sand. ICH has life cycles skimmer may eat some of the larva ditto for filters.corals may even snag a few of the larva.

Doug