Ricordias

Discussion in 'Frags' started by meagan1823, Nov 7, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. meagan1823

meagan1823 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hi,
    I have a ricordia and was wondering how to frag it.
    Can you just do like mushrooms and cut a piece off and it will grow a new one or is there something else to it?

2. Click Here!

3. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

does it have one mouth or two? if it has two then just cut it in half, that what i did. if it has one then as long as you get part of the mouth in the frag im pretty sure you'll be ok.

4. meagan1823

only has 1 mouth.
    So its not like mushrooms where you can just cut any piece off and it grows a new one.

5. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

to be honest im not sure. you might want to look on the internet for more info :)

6. meagan1823

7. sailorguy

sailorguy Torch Coral

I was told by lfs guy you can cut them off leaving a stump,relocate the head, allowing it to reattach in another spot and the stump will grow a new one.Never tried it myself,good luck,Dave

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

i have heard of the pizza cutting method as long as you include some of the mouth...i never tried it but maybe that will help you in your googling

10. GreyGhost

GreyGhost Purple Spiny Lobster

Cut it iff of the rock and there will be a stump left and it will grow another or you can be patient and let them clone in their own time. the pizza idea will make two deformed mushrooms and you will have a very very long wait for them to look like anything descent again. why not just wait it out or buy another. they are 5 bux around here. I got 3 for 10 last week. let nature do its thing. i was under the impression thats what the hobby was all about. but thats just me

11. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I would just leave it alone and let it grow. They spread fairly quickly.

12. meagan1823

I was just wondering if I could frag them like mushrooms. Im proboly not going to.
    the only lFS I have is Petco and thats where I got it from for $35. Your lucky you have such cheap corals local.