ricordia/ricordia yuma

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Row2fer, Dec 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Row2fer

Row2fer Astrea Snail

Is there a difference? or is that the full name? Many sites say one or the other. I have rainbow (awesome kinda looks like a bag of starburst candies) and brow/green ricordia ATM. I also bought this huge 6 inch mushroom that my lfs callled ricordia...when I questioned him..he didn't seem possitive at all so wondering if yuma means anything diff? I bought it anyways because of its beauty but curious if there are 2 diff styls of ricordia...i have this biggy in high light and is loving it and now there are 2 more mushrooms.

Bill

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Easy to answer. Ricordia yuma are from the Pacific (Indo-pacific primarily) and Ricordia are from the Atlantic (Florida/Caribbean).

YEAH RIGHT!!! People have been mislabling these things for soooo long, you never know unless you have some good coral ID books.

4. Row2fer

Row2fer Astrea Snail

hmmm, my ricordia that i know is ricordia all the tents are bubbles...this new mushroom that was called ricordia bubble like tents but they all split into a Y....so what do u think not ricordia. I know my brown/green is from florida so thats a yuma? not sure where my rainbow is from but will assume indo-p, so stock ric.

do I have that correct?

5. Row2fer

Row2fer Astrea Snail

ooops exect backwards...lol

6. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

It's REEEEAAALLLL hard to say without pics. As a general rule, the Caribbean Ricordia are more colorful. However, the real colorful ones are VERY hard to get these days. There were some laws enacted regarding Caribbean collection that made the yuma's much more popular.

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

OK...we're on the same page now.

8. Click Here!

9. Row2fer

Row2fer Astrea Snail

sweet ty very much for the info. well my rainbow has very nice colors when it splits... and if I am succesfull of propogation...you will get one. you have responded to a few of my questions u rock.

and I will start taking pics soon as I move this thing to my bedroom this weekend.

so scared of that...lol....but set up a 60 gal a little while ago next to my reef it is cycling through the refuge so hopefully it will be good enough to sustain life during the move.

Bill

in my database now :)
    Corals owed.
    1 rainbow ricordia to inwall75 3reef

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That's greatly appreciated Bill!!!

I always love getting frags from different places. Based on the weather you guys are getting right now and the weather we have right now, you should have tons of them before the weather clears up enough for shipment.

Again, thanks

C

1 person likes this.
  11. Ph4Y5e

Ph4Y5e Astrea Snail

i have recently done a lot of research into ricordias... and here are some things ive picked up along the way...

Yuma are usually rounder more symmetrical. less colourful with usually 2 to 3 tones only... eg..skirt is one colour bubbles are another... almost always only have one mouth. The mouth tends to be a lil rounder than the florida. Yumas are hard to propogate by cutting, but they will propogate themselves if conditions are correct... they are the larger of the 2 species and have been known to grow up to 5" in diameter. These are usually more expensinve in the states... but are cheaper in asia.

Florida, are the psychadelic ones with 4 - 5 colour tones. They can sometimes have more than one mouth and are not always symmetrical. The mouths tend to be less round and more square/triangular. Florida ricoridia are easier to propogate by means of cutting. They are usually smaller, and are more light tolerant. Cheap in states, hard to find in asia.

I recently bought a rock with 4 ricordia on it for each polyp for 40 dollars hkd...so a total of 160 dollars..presumably by myself and the shop owner to by all yumas.... getting home..i looked closely and one of the so called yumas had two mouths...so im pretty sure thats a florida...and i also have a bright pink bullseye on the same rock..som im pretty happy with that deal...there is also a tiny baby polyp of sorts growing on the same rock...

at the same shop...as we were leaving...the shop owner pointed us to a pile of rocks out the back of the tank... where there was a stash of floridas... now... each of these...ranged from 150hkd to 250 hkd each... i picked one up for 200 which is purple/blue/pink with a lil bit of green...but im not 100% sure its a florida...whilst rickz a fellow board member picked up a tiny tiny one for 180 hkd... which was insanely coloured...but about the size of a peanut...

12. JustPhish

JustPhish Peppermint Shrimp

1 person likes this.