ricordea propogation question

Discussion in 'Frags' started by brunoboarder244, Dec 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. brunoboarder244

brunoboarder244 Torch Coral

I was speaking to a local reefer recently and he said in order to get his ricordea to split he takes them out of the water sprinkles table salt on them and then puts them back in to water like 30 seconds later and he said everytime he has done that the ricordea has split, he didnt know why or where it originated from though. Is this a real technique and is this safe for the ricordea?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Can't say I've ever heard that one, although it's possible that the salt irritates the coral and may stress it enough to feel a need to split for survival purposes.

Personally, I think fragging one should be easy enough. Since they can multiply by fission, you can cut one into as many pieces as you want then secure each frag to a rock with netting or a rubber band for a couple weeks.

4. brunoboarder244

that is true ive heard that i was just wondering if anyone has heard of this before, i know someone who personally claims to have had success with it

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I want to frag this guy! Should I just cut a piece off and then cut those pieces up into smaller? How big do you think each needs to be?

Also how long till they heal?

Attached Files:

6. brunoboarder244

you can cut it into half or quarters, just make sure to get some of the mouth on each piece but i usually just wait for them to split or start popping up with new heads

7. YankeePete

YankeePete Astrea Snail

It seems ecveryone has a different method for fragging rics. I will say I have never heard of the table salt thing before though. Some wait till the ric has two mouths and cut the ric into 2 pieces through the mouths. Some will cut it into 2 pieces through only one mouth. Others will turn the rock it is on over and force it to move. When it does it most likely will leave a piece of it's foot behind and it will grow into a new ric.

More than one way to skin a cat afterall!

8. Click Here!

9. brunoboarder244

thanks for the input the flipping the rock is a first for me hearing too

10. brentonwoodruff

brentonwoodruff Fire Worm

So far I have just waited until there was more than one mouth and then I split the ric between the two mouths, if you wait till the foot is closer to splitting then you can also get a foot for each mouth already attached to rubble rock, meaning that as soon as it grows out you have a grown and attached ric ready to move to another tank, or to a new area of your own. This way you do not have to wait for the coral to attach on its own, which I have found to take longer. Also if you wait till there are two mouths, the ric will grow back to its original size in just a couple of days, the stress must trigger a growth spurt.

11. brunoboarder244

still some great answers even though its a bit of an old post still enjoying hearing them