Ricky's 120 Gallon Mixed Reef

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by YellowBelly, Jan 1, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

Hi everyone, I wanted to share my 120 gallon reef tank. My name is Rick and I am 20 years old.

My 120 gallon mixed reef tank is 14 months old. I have over 180 lbs. of live rock from Fiji and Tonga and 80 lbs. of live sand. I have a 30 gallon DIY refugium with 20 lbs. of Miracle Mud and some Chaetomorpha macro algae. I use the AquaC EV-120 protein skimmer and Mag Drive 12 as my return pump. I also use one Koralia 4 and one Koralia 3 powerhead for added water movement. I have over 30 corals, 4 shrimp and 11 fish. I am using two 250 watt Phoenix 14K DE metal halides supplemented with four 65 watt actinic power compacts.

I had been using Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt mix for a year and recently switched over to Red Sea Pro Coral salt mix. I supplement with Kent Marine Magnesium, Salifert Strontium, ESV two-part calcium and alkalinity, Kent Marine Essential Elements, Tropic Marin Iodine and Tropic Marin ProTect. I just started Warner Marine Amino Acids, Warner Marine Potassium and the addition of Kalkwasser a few weeks ago. I run ROWA carbon (changed monthly) in a AquaC XP Plus reactor and run Warner Marine Phosar when necessary.

I feed two to three times a day (small amounts throughout the day) and rotate between frozen foods, flake food, cyclop-eeze and phytoplankton.

1. Gross water volume of your complete system (incl. sump etc.)? 150 gallons
    2. Net water volume (incl. sump etc.)? 130 gallons including live rock and sand displacement.
    3. Are you using a CaCO2 reactor or other technique? No
    4. Are you using a PO4 reactor (how long, how long ago, etc.) Yes, AquaC XP Plus. I use Warner Marine Phosar. Replaced every month. I first added the reactor 4 months ago.
    5. Are you using Ozone? No
    6. Are you using UV? No
    7. What skimmer are you using (type, rated water volume)? AquaC EV-120. Rated for 150 gallons.
    8. What are your actual PO4 and NO3 levels? P04 = 0.046ppm, N03 = 0.0ppm
    9. What are your actual Ca, Alk and Mg levels? Ca = 440, Alk. = 8.0, Mg = 1370, Sr = 10.
    10. What filtration method do you use (refugium, DSB, Miracle Mud, etc.)? Refugium with 20 lbs. of Miracle Mud with Chaetomorpha Macroalgae and some pieces of live rock.
    11. Type of light (Watt, color temp, how old, etc.)? Light is 14 months old, bulbs are 8 months old. Two 14K Phoenix DE MH's with a dual PFO magnetic ballast supplemented with four 65 watt actinic PC's.
    12. What corals do you keep? SPS (Acropora and Montipora), LPS, Zoanthids, Mushroom, Soft coral.
    13. Tissue color (light or dark)? Dark
    14. How long has the tank been running? 14 months
    15. Why do you want to use the ZEOvit system? For the coloration of corals.
    16. Any supplemental dosing (type, amount, why, etc.)? I supplement with Kent Marine Magnesium (added every three days), Salifert Strontium(added once a week), ESV two-part calcium and alkalinity(added every two days), Kent Marine Essential Elements(added every two weeks), Tropic Marin Iodine(added every two days) and Tropic Marin ProTect(added every two weeks). I just started Warner Marine Amino Acids(added twice a week), Warner Marine Potassium(added once a week) and the addition of Kalkwasser (added every week) a few weeks ago.
    17. Live rock (how much, how old, etc.) 180 lbs. varies between 12-14 months old. I added some more rock after I first set up the tank.
    18. Any present problems. Lost a Flame Scallop and bleached/lost some tissue on the tips and bottom of my Acropora Austera. It only lost a little bit and stopped once I got the Alk. balanced. I was suprised it stopped. Any reasons why? I thought once the coral started to recede there was no stopping it? So far it looks like it is trying to recover. It has normal polyp extension and color.
    19. Problem description (tissue loss tips, tissue loss base, diatom bloom, algae, etc.)? When the tank was only a few months old I had a battle with cyanobactera. I've fought two battles of RTN losing 5 acro's over a period of 14 months.
    20. What test kit do you use (how old, recently switched, etc.)? Ca = Tropic marin, Mg = Salifert, Alk. = API, Phos = ROWA Merck, Strontium = Salifert, pH/TDS = Hanna Instruments, Ammonia,Nitrite,Nitrate = API.
    21. Present dosing, amounts and intervals (ZEOvit, ZEObak, ZEOfood, ZEOstart, ZEOspur2, etc.)? Not using any yet.
    22. Other water parameters and water stability (salinity, temp, etc.)? SG = 1.026, Temp. = 78-80 degrees
    23. Which salt brand do you use? Did use Tropic Marin Pro Reef salt mix for a year and recently switched over to Red Sea Pro Coral salt mix.

My fish stock list:
    1 Purple Tang
    1 Desjardini Sailfin
    1 Spotted Kole Tang
    1 Male McCosker's Wrasse
    1 Female Bluestar Leopard Wrasse
    1 Female Spotted Mandarin
    4 Green Chromis
    1 BiColor Chromis

Invert stock list:
    1 Rose Bubble Tip Anemone
    2 Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
    1 Fire Shrimp
    1 Peppermint Shrimp
    1 Sand Sifting Star
    1 Flame Scallop
    Astraea Snails
    Cerith Snails
    Nassarius Snails
    Bumble Bee Snails
    Scarlet Reef Hermit Crabs
    Dwarf Blue leg Hermit Crabs

4 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

thats a long list of ?'s. Nice tank specs, got any pics for us pic addicts? lol

4. YellowBelly

5. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

WOW, are you a fish god or sumthin? That was fast with posting those pics and your tank looks amazing!

6. YellowBelly

7. YellowBelly

Thanks, I'll post some pictures of my equipment later.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Yellowbelly, your tank has become my inspiration. Plz post more pics, just wait until more members are on, cause you will be up to your neck with pic requests, lol. Great job and Great Tank!

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Wow Look'n good. Welcome to 3Reef

11. YellowBelly

My DIY 30 gallon refugium.
    [​IMG]

AquaC EV-120 Protein Skimmer
    [​IMG]

100 GPD RO/DI Unit
    [​IMG]

Built our stand out of maple!
    [​IMG]

12. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

thats awesome. I need a refugium. i envy you! agghh all the beauty made me pop a blood vessal in my head, lol