Ricket's Reef 90 Gal Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Bzar, Dec 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

Gotta say love the middle finger in the last video.

Glad you decided against quitting, I've been there when I first tried and my whole tank crashed!

Keep the videos coming, I look forward to watching one every week.

2. Click Here!

3. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

Thanks for the kind words and support. I should be getting a new camera next week so the vid quality will be getting better :D

then in a few weeks I'm away on vacation and leaving the tank in the hands of the neighbor....so there may still be another disaster video :O

4. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

5. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

Few new video's up on youtube. I'll post the exact links when I get home from work. Man do I wish my work didn't block 3reef forums :(

6. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

LOTS of new updates on my YouTube channel. Including a new BioPellet Media Box!

Check em out :)

7. thedog12

thedog12 Astrea Snail

rickets why are you selling your complete setup? Are you willing to ship any of the things that you have listed on Winnipeg fish forum?

8. Click Here!

9. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

He is selling his complete setup? That would be sad, his youtube channel was one of the biggest inspirations I had when I was starting out. Awesome DIY guy.

10. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

Before rumors start flying, perhaps you should post a link to a post he made about selling his stuff. Granted, I can't see the classifieds yet, so maybe thats why i don't see any.

11. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

Well the rumors are true. He is shutting the system down and selling the equipment. It saddens me to see such an awesome system built from the ground up, to be shut down. Rickett was a big inspiration for me when I got into the hobby, and he is one of the DIY kings. I will post what he just wrote on his youtube channel this evening. If any of you haven't watched his videos, I highly recommend it.

From his youtube channel:

Dear viewers of Rickets Reef,
    First I'd like to say thanks to you for watching my movies on creating a reef the rickets way; i.e. light on the pre-built, and heavy on the DIY :) It has been great reading the uplifting and positive comments, especially when disaster has struck. I hope these movies would help people in their reefing journey, and learn to love a beautiful, challenging, and enriching hobby as I do. For the most part I feel the movies have done so, and will hopefully continue to do so.

Second some may be wondering why I'm shutting down, especially when I just got some frag tanks up so close to my shut down decision. Basically there is a plethora of reason why, at this time, a big SW system is not feasible for me. Anyone that has a SW tank/reef knows that making such a decision is not easy, and can be quite gut wrenching just to think of, and it was. There was a lot of emotion involved in the decision to shut down, but there was too much stress in keeping it up at this time to deny the reality that I needed to pull the pin on this project of beauty and wonder.

The corals that survived the holiday crash of 2011 are almost all gone to good homes, and the last fish are moving out soon. The hardware will be sold shortly. And my future timeframe with reef tanks atm is unknown.
    I do know that I will again own another reef tank. Probably something in the 50 gal range (total 240gal was too much for me), especially in this small house with mold problems (850sf). So perhaps once my son is born in a month or so, and we have a new bigger home soon thereafter, then he and I will make a system together and vblog the creation once again.

So for now....thanks for watching....please focus on the positives this channel has given you.....keep reefing if you can....keep watching those new YouTube reef movies that keep coming out....keep pushing the hobby with new ideas and DIY.....and be nice to your fish and fellow reefers.

Later,
    Rickets.

12. Jodah

Jodah Feather Duster

Damn! that sucks! He was a huge inspiration to me too and I was looking forward to seeing the 90 come back to life. Well, at least I bookmarked his videos. I honestly think I learned more about DIY stuff from his videos than anywhere else so far.