Ricket's Reef 90 Gal Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Bzar, Dec 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

Couple new updates:

(Day 48) Part 1: Excel & Sump

(Day 48) Part 2: The Display

Also for those asking about vodka dosing....here is the list of cause/affects/actions I've compiled to help with that system. The info's mainly from Sonny's build, and a few other sources talking about vodka dosing.

2. Click Here!

3. ReefSparky

ReefSparky Super Moderator

FWIW, and this comes with NO EXPERIENCE--just what I've been reading since vodka became the craze. I've read more than a few accounts of those who dosed vodka and were sorry they had. Myriad things went bad, or wrong, or downhill--but the end comment was the same. "Don't mess with it."

IMO regular maintenance negates the need for vodka. IMO also, vodka is a shortcut to achieve something that can be achieved without it, but with more work. Keeping a reef tank is work. Plain and simple.

I might be completely off the mark here, there might be people who just know how to dose vodka properly and have great luck and continued success with it, but I've not heard of this being the norm.

Good luck whatever you do. Glad you're sticking around! :)

4. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

ReefSparky: Thanks for the words of caution. I too have read some things about vodka dosing that don't sound good, and so I'm approaching it with slow methodical additions with frequent testings and observation.

The vodka dosing for me is in addition to regular maintenance so I hope I wont need much in the long run to keep the nitrates and phos down. I think of it as a more effective macro algae. I also wouldn't attempt this if I didn't have confidence in my skimmer.

All that being said I'm thinking about switching to biopellets because I like to take vacations and would rather a less demanding route of encouraging a ULNS. They also seem safer from reports coming in.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  5. Claic Yuzolt

Claic Yuzolt Bubble Tip Anemone

Bzar I just wanted to thank you for posting this here! I am watching every video you have and it is helping me and I am learning so much!

I just started back in October and had my tank crash on me and I am restarting it up in January, just gotta say that your videos are helping me do it right this time!

Thanks again.

I want to create the sprinkler/wave maker thingy lol I went to the link but the pictures are no longer there so it makes it hard to know how its done. Can you help me out with that?

6. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

Claic Yuzolt: Thanks for the kind words...and sorry to hear about that post losing it's pics. I'll try to find some time in the next day or so to make a video on that. it's a pretty popular topic and a really cool, easy, and cheap project....also the bennefits it adds to a tank are wonderful. So keep an eye out and I should have it uploaded soon.

Thanks for watching.

Rick.

7. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Bzar, very nice setup. I should have looked at this sooner. I want a Calfo/Bean on my next tank. Very nice job incorporating the tank and the equipment room. I turned my stairway closet into an equipment room. wife hates it, i love it. I don'r see how anyone gets by without one. My next house will most definitely have a tank connected to a equipment room.

8. Click Here!

9. Claic Yuzolt

Thanks.

Yeah your videos have really uplifted my will with this hobby. After my tank crashed I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue or not but after seeing your videos and how everything is so simple with a little patience and elbow grease.

Looking forward to all of your updates from here on out.

10. Bzar

Bzar Astrea Snail

11. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

Thanks for the links. You have done some very cool things. Also I love the way your tank looks.

12. Claic Yuzolt

Thanks for the videos! Really helpful!

Just one question, do you have a link to where you got the sprinkler online? I tried to look at Target, Wal-Mart, and Lowes and they all didn't have any!