Revived my 65g...Finally

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by EllisJuan, Jan 25, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

After about a year of neglect (no lights/just Koralias to keep it from going stagnant I finally re-did some things and got her running again. First I rebuilt my sump without a fuge. I think think I was getting minimal benifits from it and it made my return are so small I was having to add water every day. Now it looks like this...

[​IMG]

I cleaned out the skimmer, soaked all the pumps, powerheads and heater in vinegar and cleaned them. Upon reassembly my to Koralias fell appart :(. I did however lear about a chines made pump that functions like a Vortech at about a 3rd the price made by Jebao. I picked a WP25 for ~100 and it is fantastic. It moves a ton of water, is silent, and has controls much like the Vortech.

The display tank was down about 20 gallons of water, so I got that topped off and the salinity where I like it, let it run a couple days, and check all the water perimeters and everything looked great.

Over the week I started restocking. A good cleanup crew, six line wrasse, Tail Spot Blenny, and Midas Blenny. So far so good.

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

It will be interesting to see if your tank has a mini cycle or if there is enough good bacteria remaining with it being empty for so long. Keep posing your progress and any issues that come up.

4. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

I am hoping that there will not be any type of cycle because there should not be any type of die off. I'll keep it updated. I am going to do another full water analysis tonight.

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Welcome back, keep your upkeep up this time!

Adding water daily is normal- evaporaton.

6. Fish_whipped

Fish_whipped Astrea Snail

Yeah, you may want to look into an auto top off. They make life much easier, plus you won't have as much fluctuation in your levels.

7. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

I have thought about doing an ATO. Can you recommend one? I don't want to break the bank, but am willing to pay for quality.

8. Click Here!

9. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

I Took a few more pics with my better camera...the glass needs cleaning. The Frog Spawn and Zoas are starting to open up some.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  10. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

11. BrianJ

BrianJ Peppermint Shrimp

That skimmer is a beast man nice looking scape. That set up has tons of potential going for it. you should get a media reactor as well, I had brs dual carbon/gfo at one point I would recommend it.

12. EllisJuan

EllisJuan Feather Duster

Thanks man. I absolutely love my SWC-150 BMK. Like you said it is a beast, especially for its size. I have never run or shopped for a reactor before. Any suggestions as for as bang for the buck is concerned.