Review of the SICCE Voyager Nano Stream Pump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Matt Rogers, Jan 27, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The timing for checking out the new SICCE Voyager Nano stream pump could not have been better. The review had been planned, but the demise of the wet side of one of my MP10 pumps was not. Suddenly the SICCE pump had to fill some big shoes. At just 2.35" long and 3 watts of power, I was really curious if the Voyager Nano could create enough flow. I was pleasantly surprised. Pics and full review below.

[​IMG]

Out of the box, I was struck by the size of the pump initially, but became impressed by small touches with assembly. After just struggling trying to clean my MP10, I really appreciated the quick release prop guard on the Voyager Nano. It just takes a slight bend to fully release the prop guard and getting it back on is a snap. You don't have to memorize a particular rotation or sequence with notches. In mere seconds you can have the propeller and shaft out for cleaning. That is a nice.

[​IMG]

Speaking of the propeller, it is a small 3 blade prop yet capable of producing nearly 530 GPH on the slightly larger Voyager Nano that I was using. (There is also a 2.8 watt version available that produces 264 GPH.) I was anxious to see what this little prop and pump would do in my 2'x2'x14" nano aquarium.

[​IMG]
    The adjustable hex bolt and back side of the magnet mount.

Before I could do so, I had to mount the pump. Another nice SICCE touch with the Voyager Nanos for the price is that they come with magnet mounts. The pump side magnet snaps into the adjustable hex bolt on the pump. The magnets are not overly strong so releasing them is easy yet they are more than capable of holding the pump in place. They will mount on 3/8" glass as shown and are said to be able to mount on 1/2" glass - I did note that they will not mount on the 5/8" glass on the backwall of my Neo Nano aquarium.

[​IMG]

Once mounted, it was time to turn on the SICCE Voyager Nano pump. Immediately upon plugging it in, I noticed two things equally impressive. Foremost the pump is nearly silent (another nice contrast to my old MP10) as I had to lean in to hear a faint hum from this pump. Secondly, this little 2" pump creates a lot of flow. No doubt due to the size of the smaller propeller, the flow seemed more focused or directional than my MP10, yet ripples shot across the aquarium instantly and quickly covered most of the surface in a matter of a second or two.

[​IMG]
    Note whirlpool forming. The pump is about 2" below the water surface.

[​IMG]
    Almost all ripples shown were from the SICCE Voyager Nano stream pump.

Couple the silent running & great flow with a 3 year warranty and $36 MSRP - that's a lot of plusses. I think we will see the SICCE Voyager Nano pumps on a lot of nano aquariums out there soon.

With the setback on my MP10, this wet test will run a little longer. I am very impressed so far. I might have have to get another of these and hook them up to my controller in a wavetimer setting to see just how close these could come to replacing my Vortechs on my small tank. The benefits from easier maintenance and near-silent running would make that really attractive. Regardless, these are nice little pumps.

More:
    SICCE Nano Pumps

In full disclosure I did receive this unit from SICCE for testing. A big thanks to SICCE. The timing was uncanny as one of my pumps broke the same day. I am very thankful.

2. Click Here!

3. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

This might be perfect for a new nano build I am starting for the wife. I was not impressed by the Koralia Nano's and agree with the 2 negatives you made about the MP10's (price would be a third IMO).

Thanks for the reveiw Matt, and I'll be following to see how this does over the next few weeks.

4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You are welcome FoD and I look forward to hearing how what you think of the Voyager.

I will start another thread on my MP10 issue and get into details there but I hear you point about price after just ordering a new wet side assembly. :p

5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Matt, ask for another one and send it to me so I can test it too ;)

Really though, good review, couple questions:
    Price?
    When will they be available?
    Are they noisy?
    Do they click upon start up?

I too am unhappy with my koralia nano's, (not to mention the customer service there). I assume their 264gph competes with the 245gph K nano, and the 530gph competes with the 425gph (is that really competition?)

Would be cool to see you do a side by side of the SICCE's and the Koralia's.

Neat 3 year warranty too.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey Va, thanks!

I listed the price, start at $36 and I was told they should be in stores now.

I was under the impression they were available but I did a little searching and didn't see them yet. Maybe they are in route.

As mentioned, they are very quiet. My tank is quiet overall and I had to lean in to hear them. Time will tell as they get gunk on them, but I am impressed so far.

I did not hear a click on a startup so they might be great with wavemakers. A soft-start wavemaker would be best of course.

The 3 year warranty actually extends to 5 year if you buy from a registered dealer and register online. 8)

matt

7. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Gonna have to call the LFS and see what they can do about this. Definitely want to get my hands on some, probably two 530's and a 265. probably push a lot more with the same mods I did to my koralias ;)

thanks again for the review, I've been waiting for one since your first thread about their release.

8. Click Here!

9. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

I'm probably going to get one of these. I like how the power head adjusts to a farther range than the koralia nano.

Saltycritter has them right now.

Sicce Voyager Stream Nano and 1 Pump

1 person likes this.
  10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Thanks for the link ks - just noticed the [STRIKE]new[/STRIKE] SICCE wave timer there too. 8)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  11. kstafford003

kstafford003 Feather Star

Thank YOU for the product demo. I am always excited to hear about something new, especially when I plan on using it :)