Reversed photoperiod in daylight

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Mudbeaver, Sep 8, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mudbeaver

Mudbeaver Coral Banded Shrimp

Having a reversed photoperiod is usually no problem with a refugium under the main tank. Its dark, behind closed doors, and waiting for the sun to go down and then the lights come on when the main tank lights goes out. Thats the idea for a reversed photo period to keep our oxydation and ph balanced during a 24 h period . The macro algae produces oxygen during the night balancing out the production of co2 of your main tank .

Now what if the refugium like mine is not under the main tank and is a display refugium in the same room . Now i still want to do a reverse photo period, but do you think i'll work. The room has 2 windows, which i'll dim down with blinds, to avoid the sun rays. And of course the light of the fuge wont be on during the day. Do you think the daylight will still be too strong for the fuge. Should i put a panel in front of the glass during the day, any thoughts on that???

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

Yeah, i think if the display fuge isn't getting get direct light during the day it should be fine.

4. Mudbeaver

Some one just mention to me about my fish not sleeping at night in my reef with the fuge lit at night what do you think of that.

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Fish will sleep just fine with indirect light. Now if it still looks like daylight, that may be another story. But I doubt you will find it to be an issue.

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Back in the early days, with nothing but an "all new" standard fluorescent hood for lighting, it was common practice to leave lights on 24/7. Didn't seem to have any adverse effect on anything in the 7 years I owned my first SW tank.

7. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

Mr. Bill... OH boy.. the NO bulb days... yea, I ran mine all the time too. good old berlin style tanks.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

i run my fuge light 24/7 so i see no reason why the ambient light during the day would hurt.

10. Mudbeaver

Yes but my fuge is a display refugium with seahorses in it i need a regular photo period between the two tanks that my point one is on while the other is off thats how the Ph and the system works in balance . Of course its still going to work but i'm talking chemistry here, not cosmetically. Oxygen is produced with daylight by the algae at night the process is reversed thats what this discussion is about . I know the system wont come crashing if a bit of light hits it. But chemically thats what i'm talking about Is a bit of ligh is enough to disrup that process does anyone know.

11. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

It will be fine. Probably similar to moonlight. You should not need a lot of light for the 'fuge anyways.

12. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I think you two are showing your age :) I'm right there with 'ya! VHO state of the art - I remember that.