Returning Puffer?

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by elweshomayor, Sep 21, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

Hello guys, I've been recently plagued with the idea that I really want to return my puffer fish back to an LFS. The problem is that my LFS wont take it back because I did suffer from either, Velvet or Brook (or both).

I managed to save a good portion of my fish stock, however, somehow in the process of everything, I managed to get very bad hair algae and cyano out of no where. Or maybe not out of no where, I did add more live sand to the tank, so perhaps die off from the bottom sand caused nitrates to spike or something?

I've been feeding the tank 3 cubes a day now, so I thought it would eventually recede but it hasnt yet.
    I figured that I really need a CUC, but I can't because of the puffer fish eating it. (Porcupine puffer). I am also wondering whether he has been eating the coral I've been placing in the tank because I dont know whats killing them.

Once I return my Puffer, I want to take all my fish out and let tank fallow for a month to make sure no traces are left from the disaster and perhaps get all parameters under control since i wont be feeding.

Any tips on what to do with this puffer? Im really not sure what I should do.

2. Click Here!

3. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

other lfs, local aquariums and/or keep asking on forums for reefers in your area to see if anyone is willing to take it off your hands...there is a big chance your puffer is eating your corals, they do this to consume their beak...otherwise it would never stop growing and would eventually inhibit its ability to eat....

Vinnyboombatz likes this.
  4. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

I was under the understanding that Porcupine Puffers did not need to do this?
    I suppose I'll ask a few other LFS and see if i have better luck.

5. Swisswiss

to my knowledge all "puffer" species (including tobies) have the tooth problem.... but im no marine biologist mind you

6. Swisswiss