Returning a used vehicle....(No dice) day 4. And were done, finally!

Discussion in 'The Bucket' started by 4phish, Jul 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

Good info all! I am still working on it. To answer some questions. I was pre-approved and I signed all the paperwork but, I have not given the $1500 down payment. I just thought I had some sort of right of refusal (like 3 days).

The dealership has not returned my calls from today. I havent even recieved a call asking for the down payment (which I think is wierd).

2. Click Here!

3. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

If you do have a window of time to refuse the agreement (like 3 days), it'd sure make sense why they are ignoring you.

Some things are best done in person. I realize that might not be completely convenient, but I'd get down there in a hurry.

4. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I'm a car dealer in south Mississippi with a degree from Northwood University in Automotive management. Hopefully i can clarify, but laws do differ from state to state, I'm mostly familiar with Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama and Florida. But most all laws pertaining to these questions are the same.

You do not have a 3 day right of recession. That only applies when someone comes to your home to sell you something. You owned that vehicle the second you left the lot with it. That was the moment you accepted delivery and your signature on the paper work makes it all yours.

Lemon laws are between you and a manufacturer and you have to have 3 to 4 repairs for the same problem, or 6 to 8 repairs to the entire product during the warranty period and they must effect the safety of the vehicle or it's primary purpose (not radios or window motors etc).

That said, most any dealership will try to get you back in your car if possible, the long term value of a customer is much much greater than the profit of one sale. Just call them and talk to his manager. If the state has already titled it in your name, there is little that can be done. Or they may have sold your trade...

5. anb

anb Coral Banded Shrimp

I bought a vehicle in July of last year, signed papers for it and gave the dealership $2K for down payment. The vehicle was delivered to me later in the week (they had to bring it in from out of town), and I immediately took it back to them. I told the sales manager that I wasn't happy with it and that they were to fix it. Basically, it had many many many cosmetic flaws and more mileage than originally thought. So, at the end of the day I drove away in a car of the same make/model that was 2 years newer with 25K less miles on it for $3K less than the one I had brought in. I live in TX and idk if that falls into the "lemon law" thing but I know what worked for me was actually going up there and talking right with the sales managers. Course it probably helped that I'd mustered up some attitude from an already crummy day when they'd delivered the car to me.

6. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Not a lemon law. They did it because the social law (a pissed off customer costs as much as a law suit). Not that there couldn't be a suit there, but it doesn't matter. No dealership makes it long with pissed off customers.

It's always best to start with a good attitude and ask for help. If the sales manager doesn't handle it, then you go to the GM with the bad attitude. But I doubt they will not get you taken care of.

7. 4phish

Cool. Thanks grim! I have been trough one salesmanager as of now. I didn't sound pissed off on the phone. I just wandered if their was anything I could do to get my old truck back. With them not returning my calls I am going up there in person tomorow. I know my trade is still there. I would think I could get it back and just pay for the servicing they did on the truck.

I dont have much going for me though. This is my problem. The only thing ive got is the down payment. Any reason as to why they quit asking for it?

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

They are probably talking to the GM trying to figure out what to do. I would suggest going down there and meeting with them. With a good attitude they should help you. If for some reason the first person you talk to isn't getting you anywhere. Start asking to talk to more managers. The more people you talk to the better. Don't let some low level manager stall you because he's trying to not get in trouble.

10. 4phish

Gotcha. Does this sort of thing happen often?

11. tom.n.day

tom.n.day Eyelash Blennie

That is for real estate

The Salesman is not the person to speak to. He doesn;t have any authority and doesn;t care. Plus he would loose his commision. Go to the Dealership and talk to someone with some decision making ability

12. 4phish

Where does the down payment fall in all of this?