Return Pump

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by arthur, May 9, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

As some of you know my 40 gal. Breeder project is almost done [​IMG] I bought Return Pump as last piece to finish… I decided to buy new version of Jebao DCT 4000 which max flow is little over 1000 gal/hour. But Im confused now. Either pump is defective or…. no idea. Pump has 10 speeds but on full power it is still little flow in the tank. I don't know whats going on. I have a 3/4 PVC return pipe split with tee and then pipes go to two corners. Nothing fancy just regular plumbing. I will try to return it and get 6000. Will see if I can do it. So Im back on market for Return Pump. Any idea what I did wrong? thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

Pic's

Attached Files:

4. arthur

arthur Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

That last pic shows how small inside diameter is. I can't believe it. Looks like less then 1/2". I went to Home Depot and bought some PVC and change that part with inside almost 3/4". It did help a lot but still not what I would like [​IMG]

5. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

There may be nothing wrong with it. I assume you have head height, etc.
    I would think you'd need at least one power head in the DT also for flow.
    It's a rare thing when someone relieds solely on the RP for DT flow.

Good luck

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

TEES AND ELBOWS WILL DRASTICALLY EFFECT FLOW AS WELL.

7. artur

artur Fire Shrimp

I thought that it will have more flow even after head loss and tees and elbows. I understand that I need power head or two also. I should buy 6000 version. Thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Billme

Billme Eyelash Blennie

Time it to see how long it takes to fill a 5 gallon tub at the same height.

10. rcflyer1388

rcflyer1388 Bubble Tip Anemone

I use the DC12000 in my 90 gal tank. I run 1 inch pvc return line and off that return line I have my recirc skimmer plumbed in. They are pretty good pumps for the money. This is my second one I bought. My first one quite after a year of continous service without even cleaning the thing. And even when it quit, I don't think it's the pump that died, but the controller that went on it. Just don't forget the head pressure on a larger diameter line will increase a bit more because of the weight of the water. I have my headpressure at about 5 1/2 feet and it runs at about 1200gph 3/4 speed.

11. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

I have a DC6000 on my 66 gallon tank and the most I can do with it is about 1/2 speed. otherwise my overflow is too noisy. they are good pumps, but i woudl check yours. something doesnt sound right.

12. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I see a lot of plumbing restrictions; the section of clear vinyl tubing being one of the biggest. That reduces cross-section quite a bit.

Can we see the rest of the plumbing? If you have a check valve in there, that's another sizable restriction.