return pump too powerful! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Blue Falcon, Oct 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

The drain is all 1" inner diameter and the return is all 3/4" inner diameter. The Mag 9.5 has a 3/4" inner diameter threaded output. They do look small in the pics.

Should the drain hose be submersed or above the water level of the sump. I've tried it both ways. If it's above, the water splashes and makes alot of bubbles. If it's below it's much quieter but still has bubbles that "pop" once they rise to the surface. I can take care of this problem by cutting the flow down but then when I place my hand in front of the powerheads from the return ling in the DT I can barely feel the water coming out.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

As for your returns to the sump, if you want to quiet them down then take the tube all the way to the bottom of the sump. Then add a 90 - increase the diameter of pipe - add another 90 then bring the pipe up to about 4" below the level you want. Increasing he size will displace pressure and the water will quiet down some. Hope it is easy to understand what I am talking about....

4. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

yeah that makes sense. Weather or not I go through that trouble will depend on how much it irritates my wife. LOL
    The tank is right beside the couch. (where she spends most of her life)
    :yelrotflm:yelrotflm:yelrotflm
    hope she doesn't read this

5. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

You have a couch in the kitchen?

6. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

:laughy::yelrotflm:yelrotflm:trampolin

She's not allowed in the kitchen. She burns easy mac! I'm the top chef in my house

7. bioreefdude

bioreefdude Fu Manchu Lion Fish

on ur drains your ball valve is in the wrong place put it on the line to the fuge and put the end of the line below the water and get a filter sock on the one by the skimmer

8. Click Here!

9. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

If I put it on the line to the fuge, It would be full open and still not get flow. It would all go to the skimmer. I have to have it below the slit in the skimmer section to force water into the fuge line.

10. Blue Falcon

Blue Falcon Fire Goby

Ditched the last configuration and upgraded my drain from 1" to 1 1/4"

[​IMG]