Return pump size for 120 reef tank

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by 120 Class, Jan 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dirtride858

dirtride858 Astrea Snail

I have the exact same tank and use a gen-x pcx 40 external. 55w 22ft 1190gph and have it mounted on a soft pad so no vibration and quite. No heat in the water like internal return pumps would have.... don't do internal if you don't have to IMO

2. Click Here!

3. 120 Class

120 Class Plankton

I'm now considering using Reeflo's Blowhole 1450 adjustable pump. I called them today and asked if they still had that heating problem they had with their pumps last year. They said they revised and updated their pumps and there's no longer a heat problem associated with those pumps.

4. Arman2K

Arman2K Coral Banded Shrimp

I am thinking getting a Eheim 1260 900 gph.. what do you guy think? Currently using Mag5, does alot of noise..

5. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

I switch from a mag 5 (to loud) to an OceanRunner 2500 (around 600 gph). 5ft length to the top of the tank from the sump w/ one 45 degree and 1 90 degree bend and mine is just fine. Plus the pump is ultra quiet and love it!! I really wanted something around 750gph however Oceanrunner didnt have anything. The next size they had was the Oceanrunner 3500 but it is way to powerful (it is comparable to the mag 9.5)..it would drain my sump before I could even have it filled..

I am definitely not complaining about the Oceanrunner. It is a great little pump and runs solid!