Return pump help

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Flyguysc, Feb 10, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Return pump help
    I have a mag 9.50 Danner return pump for my 90gal. tank. I put this pump in a 50 gal. salt mix container to help mix the salt along with a air stone. I thought that a nuclear sub was trying to surface. Seems like way to much flow. I do have a ball valve in line but it could put way to much stress on the plastic hose connections. 975gph @ zero head & 685gah @ four feet. Should I go with another less gph pump. I have a drilled tank and do not want to pvc joints in the return line.
    Good to break down for cleaning. Thanks for the help in advance. thinking about a Danner 250​

2. Click Here!

3. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

If you put a valve on the return side of the pump not the intake you should be able to slow that pump down a lot. If you made a manifold you could feed a reactor or two and still have enough flow left to run your sump. I would keep it.
    I have a 9.5 running my skimmer and bio pellet reactor and it works fine. Doesn't put too much stress on my rubber hose and fittings.

4. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

5. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The 9.5 is a common return pump for a 90G system. I have a 5 foot 100G and used a Ocean Runner 3500 for almost 9 years before upgrading to a WaterBlaster HY-5000. The 3500 is almost identical in specs to the 9.5 and the 5000 is quite a bit bigger and both ran/run wide open.

It also depends on the size and configuration of your sump. If the sump is less than 30 gallons I would either valve it down on the discharge side or find a smaller pump so the velocity through the sump is not so great a skimmer would not be efficient. You want time in the sump for detritus to settle out and air bubbles to dissipate and at high velocity neither happens well.
    Valving the discharge will not harm the pump, it actually makes it work less and the pressure is minimal since the pump only produces about 4-5 psi maximum at shutoff head, PVC and tubing won't even see that since they are designed for 125 psi working pressure.

6. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

awesome thanks for the info.

7. Flyguysc

Flyguysc Astrea Snail

Pump up and running, quiet as a church mouse. I have a magaflow kit and the return line makes a trickle noise at the top where water is returned from the sump. Maybe I need to lower the pee hole below the water line?

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Get rid of the drilled hole, it is a false sense of security andcan and will cause you problems, even with regular maintenance.
    Keep your return close to the surface, say 3/4" to 1" submerged and maintain sufficient freeboard or spare room in your sump and you will never have a return related flood or problem and it will be quiet.

You will create an air gap, the best form of backflow prevention known to man and the simplest since it requires zero maintenance or cleaning. Once the power goes off, the display level will siphon down that 3/4" or whatever where it breaks suction since we all know water cannot jump uphill and the siphon quits. No cleaning, no holes to have a anemone, algae, food, snail of small fish cover up and no noise.

My display is a 100G and my returns are 3/4" below the surface, it will backsiphon 3.4 gallons back to the sump worst case and I always have that much or more room in the sump since the skimmer works best at a lower water level.