Return pump for Wet/dry filter?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Fastlife, Dec 30, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

I am considering to buy a bigger return pump for my 150 G Wet/dry filter. It is made by Pro clear aquatics, i am currently running it with a Cap 2200( rated at 495gph with 4'of head) . I am thinking about purchasing a Mag 9.5 ? I have about 4' of head pressure and at that rate the mag puts out 800gph. The wet/dry filter is rated at max 600gph. I need some suggestions please.

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Put a valve on the discharge of the pump. If the flow rate is too high you can always throttle it back.
    Jim

4. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Thats what i was thinking, also the outlet on the mag is 3/4 inch . The return hose i have is 5/8 and it only fits a 1/2 pvc connection. That would increas my head Press therfore dropping my gph anyway ( i think) But a ball valve sounds good . Thanks for the quick reply Jim.
    Danny

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yeah you will have to get a ball valve on the output line to restrict flow or get a smaller pump. You can always put a tee on the pipe to the wet/dry and have one go directly to the sump and the other into the wet/dry tower. You can put a ball valve on the one going to the tower so you can regulate the flow into it.

Your bottleneck will be your hang-on prefilter or overflow as it may be rated for a max of 600 GPH.

6. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

So i guess i can just cut back on the outflow with the ball valve, that seems to be the way to go. Now would that effect the life of the pump ?

7. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

I'm not sure if it would reflect the life of your pump. I'm in the process of doing the same thing. I went from a Rio 2500 to a Rio HF20 for my return pump. I installed a ball valve for now, but I've ordered a larger GPH overflow box so I can leave the ball valve wide open. I did this for more water flow in my tank.

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

Where did you order the bigger overflow box from & how much did it cost? What is the rating on the new overflow box? Will it also fit the hose that was in the original overflow?

10. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

http://www.aquacrylics.com/aquarium_filters.htm

This is where I got mine from. No frills, no excessive price. Look around you may find a better deal. I had a good experience with them.
    Jim
    Also, a slight to moderate throttling of the discharge of the pump does not harm the pump or significantly reduce the life of the pump.

11. Fastlife

Fastlife Fire Worm

I think i am going to try to use the Mag 9.5 on the wet/dry filter return anyway. Like you said i will install a ball valve. I will try to report back on the results, im still going to use original overflow that came with the unit. It has a 1" hose conection from the overflow to the first section of the filter. I think that should be able to provide the amount of gph that the pump will pe putting out? this is the exact filter i am talking about....
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3624

Thank you all for the reply's