Return pump for DT water movement?

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Seano Hermano, Nov 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

Not sure what you mean.

2. Click Here!

3. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Actually, this is similar to what I mean.

He has 2 installed on this tank. Pump is pushing 500gph to each. Tank is 40x40x20 inches deep.

4. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Propeller type powerheads are extremely efficient versus a return or closed loop pump which must pump against head. To overcome head you must develop horsepower which equates to watts consumed. The prop pumps are just moving the water they are submersed in around so draw little wattage, I have two Evolutions 1400's that only draw an actual 5 watts on a Kill A Watt meter versus my return pump pumping about 750 GPH at 4 feet of head and drawing an actual 58 watts. If I stepped up in size with the return I would have to increase plumbing sizes, the pump, probably go to a larger sump to keep velocity through the sump down and increase the wattage to more like 100 watts which is not cost effective.

A closed loop is not much different than a return pump situation as it still requires a pretty big pump to achieve high flows.

One thing I have done to help random flows is to install a Oceans Motions Squirt two way on my return so the flow alternates from end end to every 10-20 seconds or so which combined with the two Evo 1400's on a RKL wavemaker function switching every 30 seconds gives me nice random flows with enough volume to keep any detritus stirred up and exported.

5. Ducksmasher

Ducksmasher Purple Spiny Lobster

i have found that my cheato grows way better with more flow.

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Easy enough to accomplish. I split my overflow so it can go to both the skimmer section and the refugium section and I can adjust it however I want. No power required since its gravity from the overflow.

7. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

What about these X-InOuts, in the video, above?

8. Click Here!

9. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

High Flow

Here's my 2 cents:) First turbulance in the ocean comes from the top down not from the side. This is caused by wind, land shape, water moving toward shore and water moving away from shore. Second before all the fancy powerheads were around return pumps is how we moved water in both DT and filters. No way does a powerhead move the same water as a pump so the makers (powerheads) came up with a new term for gph called flux flow which is a real word for liquid flow but not how it's being used here in our hobby. Third there is no to little head pressure on pumps with closed loop since lines are always full of water and pump has tank water pressure feeding it. Forth is flow through filter, sump, and refugium's why would you think we need to turn over DT 50 times an hour and think that flow needs to be slow through sump, and refugiums this is not true and something hobbiest have made up with no proof(i can see the mob forming now). You want proof of high flow read Floyds part 1 Algae Scrubber(great reading by the way) or try it yourself, algae grows from light and what's in the water along with flow. I do agree on the power thing and hope someday soon someone will build a small solar panel able to supply our reef tanks.
    Now with above writings High Flow has always worked for me with 55 gallon tanks up to 750 gallon tanks using the power of pumps and many inlets along with elevated rock work and husbandry. So you slow flow guys don't get upset if it works for you that's great and keep doing it!

10. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

There is a huge difference between what "works" and what works "well". And since we already know "us slow flow guys" can keep exceptional reefs... obviously it works. Now if you enjoy wasting precious energy resources and seeing how much power you can blow through in a month, knock your self out... heck pump the water up on the roof for some natural heat.... Yet for my money, I like to actually use some common sense and conserve our resources... especially in a hobby that is nothing but a luxury to begin with. I can solve the same problem of flow you have using a fraction of the power.

1 person likes this.
  11. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

Yes

I belive it's what you know with regards to the way you create flow in your system. I like pump flow with many inlets over in tank powerheads for the health of my system. I also like high turn over through DT and filters which i couldn't get with powerhead flow. I try to create a rate of exchange of water volume that in the process turbulence happens and velocity is a non factor.

Great Thread:)

12. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

So then not to put words in your mouth... what is high flow for you??? I know you like different stuff. Been wondering how it is going.... What are your guide lines for flow through tanks, sumps, fuges...