Return pump advise for 180 gallon

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by KillaKawi450, Feb 17, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KillaKawi450

KillaKawi450 Astrea Snail

Hello,

I am looking for the best affordable options for a return pump for my 180 gallon reef ready aquarium. It has duel overflows with 4 holes drilled in the bottom.
    I just purchased a 35 gallon Eshopps sump.
    My LFS recommended running two mag drive 7s.

Any better options for a submersible pump?
    Looking for quiet, affordable, reliable options.
    They recommended running two smaller pumps instead of one in case one happened to fail.

Thanks for any advise you can give.

2. Click Here!

3. Likeajeenyus

Likeajeenyus Bristle Worm

That's not a bad recommendation from the LFS. MAG 7's are about 85 bucks each online.

4. gsxr1000rider

gsxr1000rider Fire Shrimp

I used a mag 18 on my 180. Best pump I ever owned. Never gave me any probs and was quite!! Get a Mag18!!!!!!!!! You'll be glad u did

5. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

I run a single Eheim 1262 on my 190 w/ a Eshopps R300 sump. It's the perfect combo for me.

6. reef84

reef84 Feather Duster

pump size depends on the overflow size as well. If your drains are only one inch each i wouldn't go with a MAG 18 as your drains may only handle 1200gph if they are 1 inch drains

7. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef !!

IMHO, someone sold you a sump that was TOO small for that DT.
    And, sumps don't just have to be a glass tank with baffles in it to work well.

8. Click Here!

9. Likeajeenyus

+1

Were still missing a ton of info for a good recommendation.

10. KillaKawi450

Thanks for the input everyone. Yeah I am not sure what to believe from my LFS. He said this sump would be good up tp 300 gallon tank so I thought this Sump would be perfect for a 180.
    My tank came as reef ready with duel overflows drilled in the bottom.
    I ordered two magaflow overflow kits that I believe had a 1" drain and 3/4" output.
    I also have a Hydor 4 and a Fluval FX5 filter I am planning on running until I can get a skimmer.

What more info do you need for a good recommendation?

I see a mag 9 on CL for $50. Would this be a good buy or to small?

Thanks again as I have a lot of learning to do.

11. Likeajeenyus

Well, it just depends on what kind of tank you are planning like full blown reef or FOWLR, etc. I'm assuming you have the RS-300 model?

There are lots of "rules of thumbs" on this. Some say a good sized sump is a half your DT.. So for you, around 90 gallons. They "say" more water volume the better and more "forgivable"..

As for flow, it sounds like you want to run a skimmer. So, you really only need to have the flow running through your sump at about what your skimmer can handle OR they "say" 3x to 5x water volume per hour. So, for your tank your target is about 1000 gph after head loss on your pumps. Two mag 7's will provide that.

Reality, basic reef filtration is mechanical (like filter socks), biological (LR and sand), and chemical (carbon,gfo,etc....)

Your current sump, though small, will work just fine. Just put a GOOD skimmer in there (dont skimp on price). In the future, if you have space, you can add some HOB media reactors for whatever you want to run like carbon and GFO. Have lots of live rock, and if you decide a sand bend, you will have a pretty simple and easy set up. Some people hate filter socks, but I believe the rs-300 has two of them. If you use them, they need to be cleaned regularly.

As for a canister filter.. I have never used one. To my understanding they can work just fine as long as they are cleaned like weekly. Some people put their media in there too. Up to you, but i don't think they are too recommended.

If you were planning on full blown reef, most people run refugiums with more LR, DSB, and macro algae. You wont be able to fit one in that model. Also, from what i have researched, refugiums need to be fairly large to really make an impact on your tank.

12. KillaKawi450

Wow 90 gallon sump. That sounds huge. I found that everyone seems to say the bigger the better.
    Yeah I have the RS300 and it does have two micro socks. I was looking to purchase a 55 gallon aquarium and try and do my own sump but the LFS said by the time I bought everything I would need I would probably be around the same price $285 so I decided to go with the RS 300. The box does say up to 300 gallons but I really have no clue as I am just learning most of this.

Should I try and return this?

My plan is to just have
    A FOWLR for now and if it goes well possibly do some easier corals.
    I just want to make sure I have room to grow and not have to replace everything if I do end up with a reef.

I am planning on saving up for a good skimmer in the future as all of my reading everyone has said it is where you do not want to skimp on.

Thanks for your help!