Restarting my 90 gallon tge RIGHT way.

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Riveran, Sep 9, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Riveran

Riveran Plankton

Hello everybody, im new here and though id share my plans for my 90 gallon freshwater. I lost 80% of my fish during a week long power outage about a month ago, and now that things are stable I thought id go hard and learn in depth how to do this hobby right.

My tank has a 2 inches of small sized gravel substrate(blue), and is currently plantless. Its open top(I got it on craigslist last year and havent bought a top or lamp for it yet). I have 3 bio-wheel 50 gallon filters running simultaneously, and fo a 30% water change every two weeks. I have a 8" feeder goldfish that earned his life by surviving 3 months with my figure 8 puffer before he passed in the outage, a sailfin, bushynose, and common pleco all under 6", and 4 cory catfish. The following list of fish I intend to keep in this tank included the ones listed above. Please let me know wgat the think of the list and how viable it is. Do you think they will get along if the aggressive ones are added last and very young? Do you think im overcrowding? Any constructive critiscism is appreciated!
    (If there is no number than it would just be one of that fish. The cichlids would be added last so they would grow up with the other fish minimizing aggression. Thanks for reading! I look forward to your responses!)
    Normal tiger oscar
    Albino tiger oscar
    Jack dempsey
    Blue dempsey
    Striped raphael catfish
    common pleco
    spotted hifin
    african clawed frog
    4 cory catfish
    zebra pleco
    bristlenose pleco
    Blue phantom pleco
    Gold nugget pleco
    Rubber lip pleco
    Blue seam bushynose pleco
    Banded plecolita

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef Riveran.

Sorry for the loss of your last system.

Good luck on the new adventure. Unfortunately I do not know enough about FW to offer advice.

Post some image with it gets up and running please.

4. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Go Saltwater. :fish: ;)

5. Riveran

Riveran Plankton

Haha. Im actually debating it with my fiance actively. I kind of want to have a figure 8 puffer tank that I phase into saltwater just to get a feel for how they work and experience it, then on e ive got a handle on it start up a 150 gallon saltwater with a stingray(my holy grail of tank keeping) and a few other incredible fish.

I just frankly dont know much at all about saltwater and do not even know where to start learning. Heck I only just started learning the chemical reactions involved in FW XDD

6. N00ZE

N00ZE Eyelash Blennie

Research is a start to anything. And you will figure it out. Walk into it blind and you'll be going for a ride. 8)

7. Riveran

Riveran Plankton

Hahsha. Well, here we go I guess. Ive got plenty of time to learn. More than likely Ill learn a most of what I need through lurking and googling terms as im confused by them XD. By the way, are lobsters saltwater? My fiance just suggested putting 20 figure 8 puffers and a few lobsters in the 90gallon. Would that work out? or are there any salt specific puffers that are a lot of fun to make a tank out of?

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you decide to go the dark side and have not looked into SW fish and inverts Liveaquaria.com and DiversDen is a great place to start looking around.

Here is a link.

Saltwater Fish: Marine Aquarium Fish for Saltwater Aquariums

The general rules and guidelines for stocking a FW tank do not apply to SW stocking.

10. juniorx

juniorx Astrea Snail

LiveAquaria recommends a brackish tank and aragonite substrate for figure 8 puffers. At that rate you're almost all in for a sw tank. Do a search for marine puffers, there are some really awesome ones, but I don't think anyone would recommend 20 in a 90g tank.

11. TrialandError

TrialandError Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Way to many big fish for the tank. They are all major poop factories and you will battle constant water issues. Some of the plecos are more pricey and I wouldn't put them in with mean fish for fear of them being bullied or pecked to death.

Would just get the oscars, dempsies, stripped raphael cat, and a rubber lip pleco or common pleco. Only problem with them is they get huge and should be kept in a huge pond. Might could get a couple bala sharks as well. I've seen them mixed in with oscars and dempsies.

12. JBert

JBert Plankton

Hows the tank coming? Any pics?