[Resolved for now] GSP Help!

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by sticksmith23, Jul 21, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Ok, so I don't think this is normal at all. My GSP all of sudden stopped extending about 4 days ago. Sometimes the polyps will extend about half the way of what they normally would, but that doesn't last to long, maybe about 10 minutes or so.

[​IMG]

The above pic is of when i first put the GSP in my tank on June 19th.

[​IMG]

This is a pic of the GSP on July 12th.

My prams are as follows:

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: 0
    PH: 8.2
    SG: 1.025
    Temp: 75 F

The only things that I have added to my filters are AquaClear BioMax and Fluval® Clearmax Phosphate Remover. This has been within the last 1.5 weeks. I added the biomax and clearmax to decrease nitrates and phosphates in hopes that the growth of my cayno problem would at least slow down, which it has.

I only use RO/DI water for water changes and top offs. I change 3 gallons about once every week. I have a 16 gallon bow front aquarium with around 20 pounds of LR and 20 pounds of LS. All of my equipment is listed in my signature.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  2. Click Here!

3. Doratus

Doratus Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have a little star colony that has stopped coming out all together, so I'll be following this thread. The weird thing in my case is that there is another colony from the same parent nearby and that is doing just fine. I also have a different species of star polyp that is also doing well, in several different locations. It might just be something they do every once in a while, on an individual basis.

Give it some time, let it acclimate. It will probably be fine.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  4. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

What kind of flow is it in? Also location in the tank (High middle low ect)?

5. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

There is a powerhead that is directly above it and it is pretty much in the on the far left side in the middle of the tank.

[​IMG]

The GSP has been in the tank for over a month now, so I would guess that it is acclimated and adjusted itself to my prams. I'm just really confused because it was doing awesome and spreading and now it isn't.

6. LCP136

LCP136 Sailfin Tang

My GSP will go through periods of days where they never come out, particularly if I'm doing a lot of work on the tank, and they are growing out of control. I wouldn't be too worried about it, they should come back out when they're ready.

7. DBOSHIBBY

DBOSHIBBY Sleeper Shark

IMO if the world ended the last thing living would be GSP. i had some on a rock that i put in the sump, a month later (no light) i put it back in to the display tank and the GSP opened like nothing even happened. the stuffs invincible.
    i had periods where it wouldnt open for days at a time, but always opened after that.
    keep params normal and it should cover your whole tank in no time.

8. Click Here!

9. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

That's funny cuz friendof mine gave me some and it did all right for a little then stopped openning slowly receded let go of the rock and died. Don't know why but i was actually glad cuz after I got Iran's read how most people regretted putting it in their tanks. Also don't have luck with zoos and the like.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

10. Atticus818

Atticus818 Eyelash Blennie

They do usually like medium high flow and medium light, you may want to adjust positioning accordingly. Also did you check PO4? That has a tendency to cause the curling seen at the polyps tips in your second photo. So that may be worth looking into. Anything above .25 will retard coral growth.

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I will get a phosphate test kit as soon as I can. I'm not sure where those levels are at.

Thank you everyone for the reassuring comments.

12. malac0da13

malac0da13 Torch Coral

Phosphate test kits don't test low enough I don't think. I know my seachem one doesn't. Wait nevermind my seachem one goes down to 0.05. I don't know how accurate it is or how easily it is to differentiate readings getting that low.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk