Required items and budget for a 180 gal reef

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by elwolfe, Jun 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. elwolfe

elwolfe Coral Banded Shrimp

Hey everyone,
    I'm a total noob, and am researching the equipment required (and cost) to get a reef system going. Current plan is to have a 180 gal. DT (72”x24”x24”) with a 40 gal. fuge/sump (and everything else) in the basement. I’ll have about a 10’ rise and 6’ horizontal run for the drain/return.

I spec’d what I understand to be high quality equipment, if any of you have had negative experiences with anything listed please let me know. So… without further ado, here’s a list of equipment (consumables not accounted for) that I think I need (most pricing is from www.bulkreefsupply.com):

• 180 gal. acrylic aquarium - $1900
    • Materials for tank stand - $500 (DIY)
    • Materials for 40 gal. sump/refugium - $200 (DIY)
    • Bubble King Supermarin 200 Protein Skimmer - $1565
    • GEO Calcium Reactor 624 w/ Panworld 30PX – $525
    • Digital Aquatics ReefKeeper Elite w/Net - $475
    • 75 GPD RO/DI 6 Stage Chloramines Deluxe System - $280
    • UF-20 Universal Media Reactor - $110
    • Ozotech Poseidon Ozone Generator 200 mg/hr (variable output) - $240
    • ReeFlo Hammerhead 5800 GPH - $400
    • 6' 3x250W HQI / 4x39W T5 Maristar Ballast / Bracket / Bulb Package - $1230
    • 4x Tunze Nanostream 6045 powerheads - $345
    • LiterMeter 3 Peristaltic Dosing Pump - $340
    • 40 Watt (260 Gallon) Emperor Aquatics Smart UV - $340
    • JBJ MINI Arctica Chiller 1/5 HP - $575
    • Finnex 300W Submersible Digital Heater (x3) - $75
    • JBJ ATO system - $80
    • 200 lbs. Reef Saver Eco Dry Live Rock @2.49/lb - $500
    • Live Sand - 200 lbs. - $520
    • Misc. supplies for quarantine tank - $300
    • Misc. plumbing/valves, etc… - $250

So…. Here are the questions I have:

1. This comes to around $10,850. Does this sound about right for a set-up of this size?
    2. Are there any other critical items I need to consider?
    3. From what I’ve read, the optional items included in this list are the ozone generator and the UV sterilizer (based on self-awareness the controller is not optional ;D). Accurate? Any others that are definitely optional?
    4. Anything on here redundant? For instance, the blurb on the dosing pump said it’d control ATO. Do I need a different ATO system? Will the Digital AquaticsReefKeeper controller do all that stuff?
    5. Is 40 gal. fuge/sump appropriate for a 180 gal. DT?
    6. Does it make sense to have heaters and a chiller?
    7. What questions should I be asking that I'm not? Obviously, I don't know what I don't know at this point.

Obviously, much more research and study is needed…. Any feedback from the community is appreciated.

--EW

2. Click Here!

3. Clonefarmer

Clonefarmer Millepora

I would suggest checking the local Craigslist. For the budget you have listed there you could probably get a really nice complete set up used from CL.

4. wasitgreen

wasitgreen Feather Duster

Try glasscages, they have ~800$ 180 gal tanks, but if you need acrylic that price is good, and the RKE unit should do ATO. Also, 200lbs of sand and 200lbs of LR isn't much for a reef, I suggest 1.5-2x that amount (~1 1/2-2lbs per gallon). Don't forget refractometer and chemicals too!

5. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

i agree, why not glass... its much better IMO and it would reduce your budget to spend by a lot..

10,000 is a little too much IMO... in my 150G ive spent close to 4000 but i dont have half of the equipment you plan on getting..

i guess if you are prepared to spend that much it would be a killer of a tank though!

6. benbabcock

benbabcock Bubble Tip Anemone

looks good to me! ya, the UV and Ozone are optional and a 40G is a bit small for a sump on a 180. gotta make sure you have room for everything and a 75G wouldnt be that much more.

that price is to be expected considering you are getting premium components(the BK and and tank are more than a 1/3 total cost). dunno why your sand is so expensive tho.

Good luck!

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

That would be a very nice set-up indeed. However, much of your equipment listed is super-high end, and far more expensive than it needs to be. You could easily reduce the bill by quite a bit, if so desired, without a significant compromise on performance. However, if you've got the cash to spend...

8. Click Here!

9. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

That's about what I spent on my 210gallon set up. (so far, but it includes 300lbs of cured live rock)...

You do have a few more gadgets than I went with. I am using a 40 gallon breeder for my sump, works fine. If you are trying to add a fuge into that as well, I think you will want to upgrade.

10. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

Remember 200 lbs of dry rock is considerably more rock than 200 lbs of live rock. As stated above, a bit high end if it was me. I've priced a 400+gallon setup, all new equipment at about the same price. Most midline equipment performs at similar levels to the high high end stuff you listed.

11. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I have a 65 with 6k in it but two grand was a custom stand and canopy that was 2k.

12. Foreverfishy

Foreverfishy Purple Spiny Lobster

For building your own stand, go to an actual lumber yard that has better quality would then if you were going to Lowes/Home Depot. Trust me, spending the extra money will be worth it (somethign I wish I thought about before I bought the wood).

For the RO/DI, go to Purewaterclub.com..I bought a 6 stage, 150 GPD for $115.

Like others have stated, I think your prices for some of the equipment is a little high though, it's better to have to much then not enough imo.