Replacing Bio-balls and ceramic rings w/ LR?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by QTYPIE424, Nov 2, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. QTYPIE424

QTYPIE424 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I read that you can replace bio-balls and ceramic rings w/ LR. If so can you buy LR in small pieces? Was also thinkin of removing my filter sponges and putting in one small strip of media filter. Will this benefit me or not? Any suggestions??
    Thanks
    Q

2. Click Here!

3. Chubby

Chubby Astrea Snail

From what I know alot recommend removing Bio Balls after a certain maturity point and replacing with LR. But its very recommended to do this over a period of time.

Maybe removing 20% every two weeks. Others with more experience then I can hopefully help.
    Chubbs

4. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Premium Aquatics sells live rock rubble. I believe it was $3 a pound or so when I bought some...

5. QTYPIE424

I believe the bio-balls and ceramic rings are in bags arnt they? so if thats the case, remove one bag put some LR in, wait a week remove another bag and so on? And is it good to put the LR on top of the built in filter as well? Or is that bad on the filter due to the weight?

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Live rock rubble and anything else you put into your sump is going to end up accumulating detritus so I'm not sure what you think the advantage is in replacing the bio-balls?

7. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

It is recommended that you wait until your tank matures to be able to put up with the change.

8. Click Here!

9. QTYPIE424

I know thats what I thought too. But the pics I saw of this tank were incredible nice. So I started thinkin about it. I dont think I am gonna do that. But what do you think about replacing the sponges with a media filter?

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

A picture is not worth a thousand words in this case. :) I've seen many beautiful tanks that used bio-balls so it's all about how you maintain them. As long as you don't overfeed your tank and, if necessary, rinse the bio-balls with saltwater from time to time, there's no reason to remove/replace them.

If by media filter you mean carbon then go for it. I run carbon 24/7 in my tanks...always have, always will.

11. QTYPIE424

12. Pisces23

Pisces23 Sea Dragon

Amcarrig:
    How often do you replace your carbon? I believe you said in another thread that you run 1 cup per 50 gallons...true story?