removing vdsb

Discussion in 'Sand' started by loneracer05, Oct 6, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

I had planned on keeping a bunch of garden eels in this portion of my sump/fuge area or what ever you choose to call it.I've had a change of heart and now need to remove my vdsb.its 36in x 24in x roughly a foot deep.is live to just syphon it out but the tank is on the floor so I don't think the suction power will be there.I'm thinkn my only option is to shut the return pump down and start scooping.its roughly a year old.any input?

2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

I did this last weekend to a 36x18x about 5 inch deep DSB in my 40b... And that tank was on a 3foot+ stand and I couldn't successfully siphon it out. Shells kept getting caught up and clogging.. I ended up just scooping, filled 2 5 gallon buckets completely. and just did a complete water change on that tank (it's plumbed into my 210g, so I just dumped all the water into that tank let it mix then let the return from the shared sump fill it)

It was a PITA, and stunk, but didn't cause any issues. Your going to want to completely remove the water and sand IMO to make sure you don't run into chemistry issues from it.

4. Moxtrain

Moxtrain Peppermint Shrimp

+1 I did this recently as well. Make yourself enough new water to refill your sump completely. Then I just turned off the return pump in the sump and scooped everything I could. I removed the entire sump as soon as the water/sand level dropped enough to pull it out. I rinsed the remainder our with RODI and put everything back together and filled the sump with my new water and turned the pumps back on. This process was also a good time for me to break down my return pump and clean it out real good.

5. dandk2261999

dandk2261999 Bristle Worm

6. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

+1 to shop vac. After you get it out, wipe it dry with paper towel, rinse and do so again. NASTY junk in sand beds