Removing mushroom from frag plug?

Discussion in 'Frags' started by Triplemom, Mar 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I have a few ricordea mushrooms that I would like to remove from the ceramic plugs and glue directly to the LR. Is this possible? Those things are so slimy! I was also trying to figure out if I could just break up the plug a bit without messing up the mushroom and glue it that way. Any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

I almost forgot - pictures!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would appreciate any suggestions - I just don't like those plugs.

4. lisafromnochas

lisafromnochas Fire Worm

maybe you could cut it at the base of the plug and glue it to the lr. I recently found a mushroom just floating in our tank and I put it in a hole in lr, and it is doing great. I'm sure you will get more expert advise though...

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  5. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Don't those stone plugs grind down easy? You may be able to just grind it down to almost nothing.

6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Glue won't work for mushrooms, they have to attach naturally. Normally you put them in a small container, filled with rubble, then bridal mesh over the container. Place that in a low flow area until they attach themselves. But, then you're basically right back where you are at now.
    I would suggest just leaving them on the tiles. They wil completely over run those things in about a month or so anyway, and you won't be able to even notice them.

7. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I've broken up those plugs and discs before - I find them to be too big/wide for where I want to place them sometimes.

I first score it with a razor (i.e. etch the line you want it to break at), then I take two pair of pliers and break the thing. So far, they've always broken along the score line for me.

Of course, I've only been able to do this with plugs that have corals that can be out of water for a few minutes...

But the plug will get covered eventually too...

BTW, anyone know what those plugs are made of?

8. Click Here!

9. generic_411

generic_411 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

They are typically made of fused argonite, and from the picture I would assume this one is exactly that.

What I have been told to do in the past is simply cut or grind the plug to the shape you need to fit. As mentioned several time before, the coral should just grow to cover it. Also if you leave the plug, but shape it to the space you want to fill, you will get a nice secure fit without glue, and you won't risk damage or shock to the coral.

That's just my two cents though.

Nice looking mushrooms too by the way.

10. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

We have 5 different shrooms in there...and you only put up pictures of 2 of them. Booooo :)

11. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

I agree with the majority here saying you should grind down or breakdown the plugs. Whether or not they will actually split and cover the plugs in a few months time really depends on the coral and the conditions they are living in. Which isn't to say I'm implying you have bad conditions, I'm just saying it might take awhile or it could be tomorrow. You can never say for sure.

12. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

If your breaking the plug and it cracks under the mushroom can it damage it? If so could it die from it or will it heal. Sorry not stealing your thread...