Removing Mantis Shrimp and Bristle Worms from Live Rock

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Steelers, May 11, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

I'm getting my LR from LiveAquaria.com tomorrow. It says you can place the LR in a bucket for a few minutes to remove the mantis shrimp and bristles worms.

Does anyone got any pictures of what these things look like so I know what to remove? Also, is there anything else I should remove? Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

1) Bristle worms = good guy;D

2) Mantis shrimp - named such because they have the front appearance of a preying mantis, and the rear looks like a shrimp:) Watch your fingers.....:eek: they could hurt ya.

3) Put the rock in a bucket of what? Saltwater? I don't get it,....

4. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

They said put the LR in a bucket of SW and the Mantis shrimp and other unwanted critters will flee the rock and end up in the bottom of the bucket.

5. ping

ping Plankton

I dont remember the reference to cite. Fill the bucket with a saltwater mix of 40 ppt salinity or a specific gravity of about 1.030. Wait no longer than 10 minutes and the bucket will be full of stuff. You can then pick through what you want to keep. If you keep the rock in there too long you will start to kill stuff. You will be amazed at what is in there. "I" get rid of anything that looks like a shrimp and pour the rest into the aquarium. An internet search of Mantis Shrimp may help ID these critters.

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  6. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

Oh, OK...thanks! So it is higher salinity saltwater...and it works! Good thing to know!;D

7. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

Ping, thanks for the great info, I got my bucket of SW mixing with powerhead right now.

8. Click Here!

9. NUHTTY

NUHTTY Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

HYPERsalinity bath. And, before you palce it in your tank, give it a good shake in the bucket you are soaking it in to remove loose debris and detritus.

But always look in the bottom of the bucket. Sometimes you will find snails and fanworms that you will want in your tank.